Mortar or foam under acrylic tub
(shopping help) i am literally on my hands and knees in tears begging for someone to answer me after having posted this multiple times in other subs
2023.06.06 21:25 fig_art (shopping help) i am literally on my hands and knees in tears begging for someone to answer me after having posted this multiple times in other subs
i am begging. please help. i need this badly and the pair i just ordered i have to return because it sounds like you’re listening under water.
PC windows 10 - i want a reliable, comfortable, quality wireless or bluetooth headset with mic, good for games where sound precision is important as well as instant voice communication and discord calls. i value comfort, padded earphones that aren't between the speaker and your ear, and prefer they fully cover the ear rather than rest on them. i also prefer if the mic is extended/adjustable because of background noise, needs to be close to my mouth. my desired ballpark is $100; more if there's good reason to.
my current headset is a $20 logitech bluetooth one. i’m very happy with the audio quality and the mic (it barely picks up bg noises) but it’s very uncomfortable as the foam is gone as i’ve had them for 6 years, and they rest on the ear instead of covering so bg noise is annoying.
submitted by fig_art
to Headsets [link] [comments]
2023.06.06 21:19 fig_art (shopping help) i am literally on my hands and knees in tears begging for someone to answer me after having posted this multiple times here and other places
i am begging. please help. i need this badly and the pair i just ordered i have to return because it sounds like you’re listening under water.
PC windows 10 - i want a reliable, comfortable, quality wireless or bluetooth headset with mic, good for games where sound precision is important as well as instant voice communication and discord calls. i value comfort, padded earphones that aren't between the speaker and your ear, and prefer they fully cover the ear rather than rest on them. i also prefer if the mic is extended/adjustable because of background noise, needs to be close to my mouth. my desired ballpark is $100; more if there's good reason to.
my current headset is a $20 logitech bluetooth one. i’m very happy with the audio quality and the mic (it barely picks up bg noises) but it’s very uncomfortable as the foam is gone as i’ve had them for 6 years, and they rest on the ear instead of covering so bg noise is annoying.
submitted by fig_art
to HeadphoneAdvice [link] [comments]
2023.06.06 20:46 mongushu Converting a DWG file (from bath tub filler manufacturer) to an STL file. Is anyone willing to help me out?
submitted by mongushu
to 3Dprinting [link] [comments]
2023.06.06 20:46 raggedsweater LPT - Guys, use hand soap for hair gel when you are in a bind.
If you're in desperate need to get your hair under control, you don't have any hair gel, and there are few other options, then consider using a little bit of hand soap in your hair. It provides a little bit of moisture, weight, and some stickiness to help tame and shape your hair.
I didn't have any hair product with me today before some off-site meetings and my hair was doing all sorts of weird things after coming in from the rain and subsequent drying. I used a bit of foaming hand soap from the men's bathroom to lay down the frizziness and shape my hair a little bit.
Of course, some water can help, too, But may not help by itself because it evaporates. Soap will stay in your hair. Generally harmless and you can wash it out later.
Not sure how effective it would be for men or women who have longer hair, but it should at least offer some frizz control.
submitted by raggedsweater
to LifeProTips [link] [comments]
2023.06.06 20:04 yournailsupplier THE 9 BEST LIGHT PINK GEL NAIL POWDERS TO BOOST YOUR GENERAL BEAUTY
| || | submitted by yournailsupplier to u/yournailsupplier [link] [comments]
Women love to dress stylishly, and why shouldn't they? While current clothing and cosmetic cosmetics boost their allure factor, their nails are crucial in elevating their inherent beauty to a whole new level. Girls typically enjoy dressing up for special events. They get their nails done as a result.
Pink hues are among the colors that girls bulk nail supplies
choose, if you look at their favorite color preferences. Additionally, pinks come in a variety of shades, each of which has a high level of attractiveness. The gentler nuances of pink are very popular, even though many women prefer the darker shades. The top light pink gel polishes are listed below.
BELLA PINK LAVIS 110
The LAVIS 110 Bella Pink is the perfect tint for teens to wear to dance balls for Christmas and the New Year since pink conveys innocence. These soft hues are also acceptable as nude neutrals, especially if your skin tone complements them. On fair-skinned ladies, the light bella pink looks wonderful and makes their nails stand out from the rest of the throng. The fact that this color is ideal for daily wear is its most fascinating feature.
Pink Before You Leap, LDS 118
Another lovely pink tint that can nail primer
comfortably last 14 days without cracking or peeling is seen here. One of the healthiest gel paint manicures is the LDS 118 Pink Before You Leap since it uses no materials originating from animals. Second, these items are 9-free gel polish, which means they don't contain any potentially dangerous ingredients. Therefore, you can choose LDS 118 while keeping your eyes closed if you want to have the lovely light pink colour on your nails.
Pink salmon, DND 586
When it comes to balancing attractiveness with longevity, no color can rival the light pink gel polish tones. The DND 586 Pink Salmon gel polish is among the longest-lasting products, lasting comforably three weeks. The simplicity with which the gel paint may be removed is the nicest aspect of this lovely pink manicure. A soak-off gel polish like the DND 586 Pink Salmon just takes ten to fifteen minutes. To maintain their endurance, these gel polish hues must cure under UV or LED lamps.
Pink Bubblegum, DND DC 017
The versatility of light pink hues makes them ideal for a wide range of outfits and settings. They are appropriate for a wedding. You can also use these lovely colors for your business meetings. The DND DC 017 Pink Bubblegum is a pretty colour that looks wonderful on you and fits any festive occasion at home. You can wear the light pink because it is a flexible color on excursions to the beach or the mountains. The DND DC 017 Pink Bubblegum is the most sought-after light pink tint because of the innocent, childlike quality it exudes.
Hotter Than You Pink OPI N36
While the paler pinks represent the picture of innocence, as you gradually travel towards the darker pinks, the allure of sensuality grows. The ideal shade to seduce your partner and keep him enchanted is OPI N36 Hotter Than You Pink. This recognizable color can help you look your most alluring on Valentine's Day. The simplicity of application makes gel polish superior to other manicures. Young women in their early 20s adore it since it is one of the most stunning colors.
510 RURAL ST. PINK, KIARA SKY
The advantage of the light gel pink colour is that it is the perfect base color for floral nail art. It's the perfect setting for a lovely nail art manicure because of the delicate pink color. The pink color of the Kiara Sky 510 Rural St. is vibrant and flattering to women of all ages. The lavender undertone in the light pink colour makes it the ideal choice for a floral arrangement. Additionally, you can use this lovely hue for your gel extensions to get the greatest manicure in town
Pink League Chew SNS CS01
During the summer, people frequently paint their nails with light hues. The nail surface stays cool because lighter colors better reflect sunlight. Because gel polish manicures are simple to maintain, most women prefer them in the summer. The nails only need to be touched up; they are in brand-new condition. Excellent light pink gel polish color that dries quickly when exposed to UV light is SNS CS01 Pink League Chew. By adding acrylic nail brus
h a few more topcoat applications, you may get a glossy sheen for this lovely colour. For your summer trip on the beach or in the mountains, this light colour is ideal
NU 020 TICKLE ME PINK by NUGENESIS
The ideal hues for a French manicure are pinks. The light pink colour should match your skin tone as closely as possible. The advantage is that the French manicure's white edge stands out gorgeously as a natural improvement. Women with fair and tanned skin tones are most suited for the Nugenesis NU 020 Tickle Me Pink. Second, your wedding dress looks stunning with its wonderful pale pink tint. Therefore, this color is perfect for your wedding festivities.
010 Gelixir Angel Pink
Because of its angelic characteristics, which enhance your general beauty appeal and make you look stunning, light pink is an alluring color. The Gelixir 010 Angel Pink is the perfect nail polish color for your evening celebrations thanks to its glossy texture. The floodlights' lovely reflection on the nail's surface will make you feel glittery. Additionally, this captivating light pink gel color ups the glamor factor to guarantee the most entrancing nail manicure.
Light gel paint hues are best for raising pedicure kits
the overall attractiveness of your nails. We've spoken about nine different, adaptable light pink gel polish alternatives that you can wear and display on your social media accounts. To purchase your preferred light pink gel polish.
2023.06.06 19:36 JohnT_RE Brass Leopard Patch Notes (1.1.5 PC Update)
| || | submitted by JohnT_RE to CompanyOfHeroes [link] [comments]
This update focuses on several quality-of-life improvements, gameplay changes, bug fixes and more. We feel these changes should provide many iterative improvements to the overall feel and experience of CoH3. You can find all of the changes below, or an overview here
, along with a video summary here
In this update, you will find the following
- Audio improvements
- Additional intel warnings
- New sound effects audio mixes
- Gameplay feature improvements
- Camera height
- Event cues
- Player names and colors
- Gameplay changes
- Plane and loiter changes
- Mignano Gap and Gazala Landing Ground map fixes
- A new 3 vs 3 map available in:
- Custom games
- Co-Op vs AI
- Several improvements to the single player experience
- Italian campaign bug fixes
Catania Crossing - 3 vs 3 Map
Adding a new 3 vs 3 bridge map released exclusively for Skirmish, Custom Games and Co-Op vs AI modes.
- A return to classic CoH bridge maps, based on the Allied Landings in Sicily.
- Features dense urban combat around critical bridge crossings, perfect for those who wish to hunker down and outlast their enemy.
British Forces – War Cry ability
- All players will now hear a trench whistle followed by a crowd swell indicating the ability has been activated.
- The camera now allows players to zoom out an additional 5 meters using the scroll wheel increasing the overall zoom level.
- Event Cues are now aligned over top of the minimap.
- Event Cues priority has been adjusted across the board to prevent less important cues taking over more relevant ones.
- Event Cues now allow players to click and select units behind them.
- Event Cues are now limited to how many can display on screen at the same time
- The background transparency of Event Cues has been reduced to improve readability
- Event Cues lifetime on screen will adapt based on player interaction. Event Cues that are not interacted with will be unchanged. Event Cues that are clicked will be considered “seen” and their total lifetime will be reduced by 5 seconds. For example:
- A ‘grenade incoming’ event cue appears on screen. The player clicks on it after 10 seconds, the event cue immediately disappears as its total lifetime has been reduced to 5 seconds when becoming ‘seen’.
- The same event cue appears on screen again, this time the player clicks on it after 1 second: the event cue will be considered ‘seen' and will remain for 4 more seconds, as its total lifetime has been reduced to 5 seconds.
Gazala Landing Ground
- Minor adjustments to Strategic and Victory Point locations to ensure the Western points favor the Southern team and Eastern points favor the Northern team.
- Improved the southernmost engagement area (the bottom of the valley) to be approachable from more angles
- Removed cover from Greek staircases to prevent unintended balance issues.
- Territory layout adjusted to ensure a fair dispersal of munitions resources near each Team's HQ areas.
The intent of the changes to airplanes and loiters is to deliver more believable-looking visuals along with better responsiveness and game feel. When a player clicks, it’s essential that the feedback on the ability be more immediate. As always, we are looking into new ways to bring you an immersive experience, so we’ve adjusted the visuals and deformation on airplane crashes, dives, and projectile speeds.
- Standardized airplane arrival times:
- Utility based airplanes (includes smoke & recon runs): 3 seconds
- Strafing runs: 5 seconds
- Bombing runs: 7 seconds
- Airplanes now start their dives earlier to allow for a less aggressive angle.
- Airplanes speed increase while loitering from 36 m/s to 72 m/s.
- Airplanes turn angles are increased from 25 degrees to 60 degrees.
- Adjusted Airplane crashes to create deformation and include a new effect.
- Adjusted Airplane crashes to damage environmental objects.
- Adjusted Airplane debris to last longer.
- Adjusted Airplanes doing dives to only drop the projectile when at a distance from the target as opposed to only when on top of the target.
- Adjusted Airplane abilities flares to match the center of the ability reticule.
- Adjusted Airplane abilities reticule colors to match the proper intention of the ability (green for utility, red for damage)
- Airplanes performing paradrop abilities are now invincible.
- Airplanes performing Mark Target abilities now show a proper indicator on the target.
Airplane Weapon & Projectile Changes
- Adjusted projectile speeds overall to be 2x to 3x times faster.
- Adjusted bombs to have a 1.5x damage modifier against buildings and emplacements.
- Adjusted deformation to better match the area of effect of some of the explosions.
- Adjusted strafing runs to have an area of effect of 45m length.
- Adjusted strafing runs to cover the area within 1s as opposed to 3s.
- Loiters no longer acquire new targets in base sectors.
- Loiters now display a ground indicator that reflects the target acquisition area.
- Loiters now display an indicator on top of the unit they are targeting.
- Loiters now properly display the time left for the ability to end.
- Loiters now take longer in between passes.
- Stuka Dive Bomb munition cost from 250 to 150.
- Fragmentation Bomb now drops 6 bombs instead of 4.
- Fragmentation Bomb now has two airplanes in formation.
Plane Bug Fixes
- Airplanes performing a Mark Target will now leave the field properly if the target is destroyed.
- Loiter airplanes no longer leave the field pre-emptively which was causing instances where instead of two airplanes loitering there would be only one.
- Various Audio fixes missing voiceovers in different airplane abilities.
- A new bindable hotkey has been added to the Controls settings, allowing players to customize the button to temporarily toggle player names. Default has been set to CTRL.
- A toggle for player names has been added to the game settings both while in a match and in the main menu
- ON: Player names will be permanently displayed under the unit decorator.
- OFF: Player names will not display under the unit decorator permanently, but players will still be able to toggle them temporarily using their assigned hotkey.
- Player names will be displayed on unit information cards.
- Player names will be using player’s selected color scheme in the UI (compatible with both team and unique colors). This will apply to names displayed in the RTS layer, on the unit card and in the player list.
Unique Team / Player Colors
- Team and Unique colors now apply to player names.
- Team and Unique colors now apply to units' health bars on the unit cards.
- Territory point flag and capture UI now uses team colors rather than unique colors.
- Added a tooltip when hovering with the mouse on Battlegroups in the Player List, containing the Battlegroup name and a brief description.
- All Battlegroups from each player’s loadout will now be visible in the player list: it will no longer be possible to check which Battlegroups other players have picked.
- Player names will respect the color scheme chosen by the player in the Gameplay settings: when Team Colors are enabled, the player will be assigned the blue color, allies the yellow color and opponents the red color. When enabling Unique Colors, the player’s team will be assigned the cold color palette, and the opposing team will be assigned the warm colors palette.
- Team 1 and 2 background colors standardized to blue for player team and red for opponents’ team.
Bug Fixes & Improvements
- Fixed a save issue where the objective UI language was incorrect when loading a save that was made in a different language.
- Fixed an issue with the main menu background not appearing.
- Improved indication of resolution on the settings screen when borderless Fullscreen window mode is selected.
- Improved mouse compatibility and clamping while in windowed mode.
- Textbox now properly displays when chatting with friends.
- Added a new sound effect to campaign map captures.
- Added an intel announcement for allied-controlled points that are attacked or taken by the enemy.
- Afrikakorps Mortar Units have found their voice. Fixed an issue where recrewed Afrikakorps Mortar Units would have no voice lines.
- Capture point now always plays capture sound when neutralized.
- Fixed audio sound effects when capture points are neutralized.
- Fixed certain British vehicles not using American lines after being restored by the American recovery vehicle.
- Fixed unnecessary intel message that played when using a CWT truck to recrew a team weapon.
- Paratrooper Squad's M1 Carbine now uses unique firing sound effects.
- Recon ability sound effects will no longer be heard in the fog of war.
- The Humber 15mm turret's sound effect now correctly matches fire rate and animation.
- US Forces halftracks now uses different audio after being upgraded.
- US Forces Intel referred to pathfinders as scouts when deployed from HQ. They are now correctly referred to as pathfinders.
- Victory and Defeat music on the results screen is now no longer affected by the muffling effect on remaining battle sounds.
- Fixed silent voice over line at the end of the Defend Potenza mission.
- Intel voiceover warnings for weapon crews such as Anti-Tank guns and Mortars did not play when the unit was lost. Warnings now play correctly.
- M2A1 Howitzers now has working voice over lines.
- Refined the voiceover selection logic to reduce the repetition of memorable lines.
- Squads garrisoned in buildings now give a voiceover warning when the building is at risk of being destroyed.
- Victory and Defeat screen voiceover will now always play.
- Afrikakorps Panzergrenadiers now understand how boots work, therefore their legs no longer clip through their boots. It’s leg day!
- Anzio Annie crew now stands on the gun, where they should be.
- British Forces M1 Pack Howitzer Team now uses the correct models and portrait.
- Colors on the Afrikakorps Bersaglieri squad rifles have been adjusted to better match the unit.
- CWT AA Mount seat no longer clips through benches.
- Fixed smoke trails to match team colors.
- Flame attacks correctly apply charring to vehicles.
- Heavy machine guns no longer floats when the M8 Greyhound is destroyed.
- Kattenkrad Recon Vehicle now produces debris when destroyed.
- US Forces M1 carbine now uses the correct semi-automatic animation.
- Fixed a scaling issue where unit paths would be the wrong size on the minimap.
- Fixed an issue where the cover dots indicators would be rendered floating in the air.
- Fixed an issue where the game was not updating the player correctly when an enemy neutralized one of the player's team-controlled sectors, and still showing the neutralized territory as player owned. With this change, after a point is neutralized by the enemy team, the player would correctly see it as neutral on both the RTS and the minimap/tactical map layers.
- Fixed an issue where the minimap did not orient north correctly.
- Fixed an issue where units got stuck when trying to exit certain buildings while retreating.
- Fixed an issue with some environmental vehicles being targetable as if they were enemies.
- Fixed A.I. players not supplying a direction to directional targeted abilities. This A.I. will now be using directional targeted abilities, such as the German Wespe Creeping Barrage veterancy ability.
- Fixed several instances of overly zealous infantry running towards the enemy when retreating.
- Fixed several issues related to bridges not correctly having cover.
- Loiter planes no longer disappear off map while performing abilities.
- Updated Line of Sight generated by capture points to be more consistent with past CoH games.
- Added Japanese text display improvements.
- Adjusted and simplified tooltip text throughout the game.
- Fixed several typos and inconsistencies in texts.
- Fixed an issue with subtitles in Campaign not appearing at the correct time.
- Improved localization in all languages and integrated missing translations.
- Added missing cover to several objects in the environment.
- Fixed an issue on Aere Perennius where the map zone/territory would be drawn incorrectly between ruined buildings.
- Fixed an issue where certain buildings would make units garrisoned inside invincible.
- Fixed an issue where territory lines did not display correctly on stairs.
- Fixed missing collision on large standing fuel container on L'Aquila map.
- Fixed several issues with indestructible hedges.
- Fixed several issues with small objects taking up too much space and blocking unit movement.
- Updated balustrades to provide cover as expected (identically to stone walls).
- Updated hangar assets to no longer provide cover. Suspended sections were wrongfully providing cover to units beneath them.
- Updated map edge visuals on Torrente, including railway tunnel and rail lines.
- Improved width of impasse around some cliff areas across multiple maps to reduce clipping.
Modding Tools Improvements & Bug Fixes
- Added first ability archetype “equip_and_fire_weapon”. This archetype is intended primarily for infantry to replicate the functionality of abilities such as grenades or panzerfausts. It will equip a weapon of the chosen name or hardpoint index and fire it X times at the target. The caster entity(ies) must have the weapon assigned to that hardpoint in order to cast.
- Introduced “custom properties”, which allow modders to adjust the variables that will be read by state tree scripts to allow variations of existing ability archetypes. Custom properties are only used for a specific ability state tree script, however any ability that references that state tree script can re-use the same variable names to create the same effect.
- Introduced the concept of an “ability archetype” -- These are template abilities that can be cloned to easily create variations using custom properties. For now, this is just the “equip_and_fire_weapon” ability with the potential to release more in the future. Previously, if you modded an ability like the rifleman’s grenade, it could only ever throw that specific grenade. Now a modder could adjust which weapon to swap in and how many shots to fire by copying the equip_and_fire_weapon ability and changing those properties.
- It will also be possible to use custom properties to adjust values on some of the abilities that do not yet have a formal archetype created, such as any of the flight abilities we reworked this patch and abilities such as Repair, which now exposes several tuning handles to adjust the repair amount.
- Tuning pack mods can now have their files reference each other without crashing on load
- Updated the default atmosphere to the latest day lighting version, this should improve the modding experience with default settings.
- Fixed a crash that would sometimes occur when skipping a cutscene.
- Fixed an issue where capped fps was higher (by as much as 10fps) than the set cap due to sometime not being accumulated frame-to-frame.
- Reduced memory increases across missions.
- Fixed an issue that caused some objectives to be started multiple times.
- Fixed an issue where campaign save/load would become inaccessible after creating a skirmish game in single player.
- Fixed a crash that sometimes happened when loading a save game.
- Fixed mission failed dialog in certain campaign missions.
- Fixed several issues of missing voiceover dialog in campaign missions.
- Fixed several issues with camera fadeouts flickering or happening at the incorrect time during mission sitreps.
Dynamic Italian Campaign
- AA Emplacements can no longer shoot at Supply Crates.
- AA emplacements no longer attack ships in the single player campaign.
- Added a fix for a specific Save/Load issue that affected a kill counter not updating properly in Fire with Fire mission.
- Added Relevant requirement text to the Heal, Repair, Encircle abilities when out of range.
- Adding correct portraits to Supply Drop Crates.
- Displaying correct description text on Supply drop Crates.
- Adjusted description for the following UK Artillery company abilities/upgrades to more accurately match their functionality in-game:
- Battle Hardened - Raises minimum Veterancy Level of Gurkha Rifles to 2.
- First Class Fighting Men - Raises minimum Veterancy Level of all infantry squads to 1.
- Adjusted out of bounds vista in Salerno to make for a smoother transition in the distance.
- Adjusted timing of Conti's Voice Over so it no longer overlaps with the sitrep.
- Assassinate Baumann object will no longer auto-complete and the mission can be played.
- Campaign Map A.I. no longer uses bombardment abilities from its ships and howitzer emplacements outside the playable area.
- Combat music no longer starts immediately after intro to the Pomigliano airfield mission.
- Companies requisitioned through a seaport now have the proper cost modifiers applied to their Heal and Repair abilities.
- Disabled the forward artillery ability in Salerno until the player gets access to a base.
- During campaign skirmishes, enemy squads no longer pick up supply caches at the start of the 'Recover Discarded Supplies' bonus objective.
- Enemy companies in the single player campaign now use recon abilities more consistently.
- Errant intel no longer plays before Corporal Conti's objective outline at the beginning of random encounter skirmishes in the Italian Campaign.
- Fixed a bug in the Italy campaign that caused the bombing run to fail after capturing 3 towns in the Volturno Line.
- Fixed a bug in which narrative lines in the Ice Cream event could play out of order.
- Fixed a narrative bug in the Winter Line mission where a line's audio was assigned to the wrong character.
- Fixed a narrative bug in the Operation Morning Glory mission where a line's audio was assigned to the wrong character.
- Fixed a narrative bug in the The Great Ammo Robbery mission where a line's audio was missing and assigned to the wrong character.
- Fixed an issue causing input to be blocked when exiting loading screens in certain cases
- Fixed an issue in the Anzio mission in the Italy campaign where enemy units would spawn during a cutscene.
- Fixed an issue on certain campaign missions where US Forces infantry were not properly displaying veterancy options.
- Fixed an issue where Paratroopers would get stuck in specific areas of Ortona.
- Fixed an issue where Partisan capture ability would sometimes not do anything
- Fixed an issue where the British Armoured Company Fuel Airdrop tooltip was incorrect when it was upgraded to drop 3 fuel crates and still referred to 2.
- Fixed an issue where the Destroying the Gun's objective in the Italy Campaign mission in Gela would not complete properly before ending the mission.
- Fixed an issue where units could have more movement points than their max movement points upon a new turn if they lost some supply on the previous turn
- Fixed an issue with certain bridges on River Crossing Rescue not allowing vehicles to cross properly.
- Fixed an issue with certain bridges where paratroopers would be unable to cross them after spawning on the wrong side.
- Fixed German Mechanized Company that retreated on the Campaign Map near Camino that would get stuck and become un-targetable.
- Fixed an issue that would make a company unusable if they were paradropped onto a destroyed town.
- Fixed an issue where C-47 transport aircraft that were spawned in airfields that were captured by companies with the Air Support trait weren't displaying in the airfield management page.
- Fixed an issue where planes were spawned hovering over Foggia if it was captured on the same turn as the objective to capture it was started.
- Fixed an issue where ships moved via the Transfer Seaports ability weren't able to move on following turns.
- Fixed an issue where the population cap was not increasing properly when picked as a reward for completing the southern foothold objective.
- Fixed an issue with the Campaign map torpedo ability when used from Carriers that allowed it to be used against enemy land units and friendly ships.
- Fixed lighting on battleships.
- Fixed Partisan support ability sometimes not being selectable in skirmish/mission
- Fixed post mission death animations for defending company playing on top of the initiating company
- German Companies can no longer heal within the first 10 turns unless they are near a Hospital or Triage Centre.
- German Company affecters/icons correspond with their Company Type
- In the Anzio mission in the Italy campaign, aircraft can now be used without being shot down if the Destroy AA Guns objective was previously completed.
- In the Enigma retrieval mission, added a small lump sum of manpower when the special aid station is captured to allow for limited reinforcements. The limited amount is to preserve a raiding party/commando fixed force feel that is smaller in scope than a typical skirmish or a larger scenario. A notification to the player is given when they get the resource.
- Italy Finale Mission - Fixed an issue that prevented description text from appearing on the Swap Company ability button.
- Navy Salvage and Repair abilities have been moved so they are no longer overlapped by other abilities
- Removed friendly fire damage from area of effect abilities like Barrage, Bombardment, and Bombing Run in the Campaign.
- Repair and Heal cost no longer increase on Save/Load
- Re-trimmed boundaries in Calabria prologue so mountainous regions are more reliably recognized as impassable terrain.
- Smoothed airplane turning for certain bombing run and supply run abilities.
- Some missions in the Italian campaign now only trigger once.
- The enemy territory that exists directly East of the player base in Gela now becomes player owned once the territory point to its north is captured by the player.
- The Foggia mission now correctly registers when intel has been destroyed.
- The Paratrooper tooltip has been updated to reflect that Paratroopers can be paradropped anywhere outside the enemy base, rather than only within friendly territory.
- The rewarded Destroyer is no longer stuck at the seaport after repairing the seaport
- Tiger Heavy Tank call-in can no longer get stuck behind the Wehrmacht HQ on the Winter Line map.
North African Operation
- Corrected historical facts on a loading screen that claimed Italian and German troops clashed with British forces in 1940, when German forces did not arrive until February 1941.
- Finale Mission - Fixed units clipping into each other during the introductory camera pan.
- Fixed an issue where players had access to battlegroups from other factions in the desert village ambush mission.
- Fixed an issue where destroying enemy vehicles for an optional objective would complete the primary mission objective and end the mission early.
- Fixed an issue where sometimes victory cinematics at Tobruk would play twice.
- Updated minor timing issues with camera sequences.
- The Panzergrenadier Unit from the mechanized reserve can no longer equip MP40 in campaign skirmishes.
- Adjusted the first few steps of the tutorial to restrict what the player can interact with. This change should improve clarity, limit confusion and guide new players more directly.
- Fixed a minelaying tutorial tooltip staying active indefinitely.
- Fixed an issue in the tutorial in which hint arrows were not being removed upon objective completion.
- Fixed an issue that prevented some hint messages from appearing.
- Minor additional instruction hint added to the aid post tutorial sequence.
- Improved desync handling to only remove the desynced player allowing the match to continue.
- Fixed a crash that occurred when a voice over line was unavailable.
- Fixed a frequent Italy Campaign crash triggered by a deleted capture point.
Store / Cosmetics
- All soldiers in Captain's Retinue squad will get appropriate cosmetics instead of just the Captain.
- Fixed a bug where the granted item window does not show the correct rarity color.
- Winter Tundra Panzer IV’s turret accessories no longer flicker.
- Winter Tundra Wirbelwind no longer leaves floating objects behind when destroyed.
- Fixed issue with UK truck bed not getting camo.
- Fixed issue of DAK Left Behind StuG III D not being available as an offer in the store.
- Amazon Night Fighter vehicle crews now have their intended camo.
2023.06.06 19:30 DepartmentOk5257 Bathtub drain removal help
We recently moved into a newly built house and I want to change an ugly / mismatched bathtub drain on an acrylic / fibreglass tub. I have a drain wrench and the new drain. However, the drain is seeming to require a lot of force to remove. I don’t want to crack or break anything. Is that a risk? How much force am I expected to exert on the tub wrench tool? I assume they didn’t use plumbers putty but used silicone. Any way to do this carefully or to keep in mind? It would be horrible to crack the tub / any part of the plumbing as it is all integrated with the tile and it is slab flooring. Any advice would be appreciated!
submitted by DepartmentOk5257
to DIY [link] [comments]
2023.06.06 18:44 NervousPitch2528 Tips for lumpy and uncomfortable sofa
| || |
Any tips on how we can improve our very lumpy and uncomfortable sofa seat cushions? submitted by NervousPitch2528 to DIYUK [link] [comments]
We are currently renting so can’t change our sofa. We’ve been told it’s duck feather and should be plumped regularly, which we do, but it still goes lumpy very quickly.
We’re wondering if we can take out what’s already in there and replace the filling temporarily with some foam or something a bit firmer / more sturdy. Does anyone have experience with this? We’ve tried hard boards under the sofa cushions but they do t seem to have made any difference
2023.06.06 18:32 ermagerditssuperman Trip report - 5 nights in Mexico
| || |
Recently did 5 nights at an all-inclusive resort in Riviera Maya. First time going all-inclusive, needed a relaxation-focused trip. submitted by ermagerditssuperman to HerOneBag [link] [comments]
I used a Cotopaxi Tasra 16, and the Bellroy System work bag (16L). This was the first trip using the Tasra, I'd bought it literally days before at the REI members sale. I love it! Perfect for my 16" torso length. (In background - fiance used my Tom Bihn Makers Bag and Peak Design 45 travel bag. I've got enough of a bag collection for both of us now!). This is the first time I've used the Bellroy in ages, I honestly don't like it for EDC or work... But it worked OK as a travel bag, just a bit too big and cumbersome.
Shout-out to the couple in front of me in security at Cancun airport, with whom I exchanged compliments on their Cotopaxi fanny packs and they on my Cotopaxi backpack. Also, I did notice one of you had a Topo Designs backpack, and I wish I'd asked which one it was cause it looked great!
Read below for TMI on what I packed, and proof that I probably shop at REI too much.
Photo 2 is everything liquid - I have a lot of cosmetic allergies so I don't rely on finding what I need at my destination (NYM conditioner, NYM shampoo, deodorant isn't liquid and is in this photo by accident, bacitracin because I'm allergic to neosporin and every hotel first aid kit uses that, lotion with aloe, aloe gel, itch cream, nivea face cream [didn't use], concealer [didn't use], aquaphor lip treatment, face sunscreen).
Photo 3 is dry toiletries (assorted hair accessories, compostable floss, laundry soap, one tub of pills/vitamins, one of TUMS chewables [didn't use], travel toothbrush, anti chub-rub stick, deodorant, spf chapstick, solid sunscreen, solid bug-deterrant stick, body soap)
Photo 4 are the toiletries my fiance packed that I used - toothpaste, face cleanser stick, his comb because I forgot mine.
Photo 5 is tops (lilly pulitzer long blouse, spare bra, yellow REI running tee, blue Outdoor Afro tee, Prana black tank, REI trailmade pullover tees in both green and tropical print [LOVE these so much], a coverup wrap my mom got in Cancun 20 yrs ago)
Photo 6 is swimwear (old speedo one piece, Athleta rashguard, Athleta bottoms [one of few brands I found with styles that cover my WHOLE butt], sports-bra-style top from Wild Isles [highly recommend for my fellow busty friends, this is their size 4 and I'm a 32FF. I was fully secure and fully covered at all times]). I wished I had a short sleeve rashguard, because the long one got hot but I also like to keep my shoulders protected as I burn easily.
Photo 7 - a packable grocery tote we used at the beach, and a wetbag that we used to keep phones & books dry during tropical rains, and then used to hold damp swimsuits when flying home.
Photo 8 - more clothes (REI trailmade amphib shorts, prana shorts, prana dress [I forgot that I would a) not have my usual under-dress skimmy shorts and b) would be eating a ton because all-inclusive, so a clingy dress was a bad idea. Wore it only once])
9- xero sandals, this was the first time they've had significant usage and they were GREAT. Packed these, and wore Feelgrounds canvas sneakers on the plane and at dinner restaurants.
10- i got this little bag when I ordered Bombas Gripper Slippers, I have now used it on 4 trips to pack my shoes in! They fit perfectly and keep shoes isolated from my clothes.
11- all the non-clothing stuff. Bellroy classic pouch had the dry toiletries, Tom Bihn 3D OC had the liquids. Persona pouch is my Nintendo 3DS bag, didn't end up playing it though. Blue TB ghost whale pouch had chargers and earbuds (samsung galaxy buds plus), then my Bellroy Travel Wallet (the only one that can fit both my passports, dual citizen). Otter at the top is a pencil case jam packed with coloring pens, then my Owalla bottle (the hype is true, these are fantastic), hydroflask tumbler (the waiters at the pool and beach will gladly put your drinks in your own tumblers, so you can enjoy your mega Mango Tango in the sun while keeping it insulated), a Nomadix packable picnic blanket (except I accidentally packed the mini which is way too small for two people to lounge on) and lastly, the stash of books I brought. Wedding planning book, wedding planning planner, an Isaac Asmiov novel that I read a bunch at the swim-up bar, my personal notebook, and a coloring book. I colored at the beach several times and it was fantastically relaxing.
12- bellroy all packed up
13- clothes I wore on the plane (REI sahara long-sleeve [I don't know how but this kept me warm enough on the plane, yet cool enough in the hot humid weather in Mexico. May be my new favorite travel top?], Molke racerback bra in uni-verse pattern, REI trailmade pants (also LOVE, this new trailmade collection is honestly fantastic)
2023.06.06 18:22 Waelder TCF PATCH 3.4.0 - 07th June 2023
| || | submitted by Waelder to TheCycleFrontier [link] [comments]
Read the patchnotes in the game's website: https://thecycle.game/news-and-media/the-cycle-frontier-patch-3-4-0
The game will go into maintenance tomorrow 7th June 2023 at 08:00am CEST and the game will be inaccessible for a few hours.
Patch 3.4.0 has been cooking behind the scenes for a little while now, and it's finally ready to be served. Complete with seasonings, a tall drink, and a few changes that might catch your interest, we're following up on some changes from 3.2 and 3.3 while also addressing some issues that have been highlighted by our community. On the menu today will be additional AI changes, a balance pass on some of our early game weapons, the usual stomping of a few pesky bugs and exploits, an adjustment to Tharis storm cycles, and yes, an adjustment to Progenitor Slags. We recently discussed in our Discord Server that we're taking some time to focus on repaying technical debts and relooking into systems to have more flexibility with our code in order to make things more smooth, however a lot of these things are not necessarily "player-facing" so we will use these notes to focus on changes that you will see and experience directly within the game. As always, be sure to let us know what you think of the new changes after you've downloaded the new update, and we will continue to monitor and address them as soon as we can. Onto the notes! https://preview.redd.it/sqf2ca6h9f4b1.png?width=1920&format=png&auto=webp&s=fb9a99a079a724cf8f41da14a55ba7447d63f668
Weapon Balance, my old friend, it's nice to see you again! As a fun fact from our data, the three weapons that are the most requested to receive a balance pass are the Manticore, AR-55, and C-32 Bolt Action. This is something that we are always investigating and keeping tabs on behind the scenes, but after our feedback from the 3.2 patch, it seemed there were a few weapons that needed a bit more than just a damage value changed, so we've made a few more changes to lightly poke the meta to encourage a nice mix of weapons and keep things feeling fresh with your encounters. The vision that is planted in our brains here is to make sure our early game weapons feel like early game weapons without nerfing them into the ground or making them unusable in engagements with higher-geared players. However, with a TTK this short, sometimes that perfect balance can be hard to find. Having said that, minor changes are the plan for this one, let us know what you think! Manticore (MK1 & MK2):
AR-55(Rusty, MK1 & MK2):
- Magazine size: 24 -> 22
- Headshot multiplier: 1.5 -> 1.4
PDW (Rusty, MK1 & MK2):
- Projectile speed: 36400 -> 34200
C32(MK1 & MK2):
- Increased hip shot spread by 15%
- Damage falloff multiplier: 0.7 -> 0.6
- Damage falloff multiplier: 1.0 -> 0.7
We've heard your feedback that something just doesn't feel quite right, and we've noticed it in our matches as well. In order to address it, we've done some deep dive investigating to answer a few questions: Is matchmaking working as intended? Is "beginner matchmaking" working properly? Now this covers a really wide range of variables and not every player's reported issue can lead to the same outlier in the way our game matchmakes, but we've made some major changes to the way our matchmaking registers and removes players on a server, to prevent server over population, which we believe should fix squad separation issues as well. We intend to continue keeping a close eye on this topic, so please don't hesitate to reach out and let us know if you experience or notice any differences!
Fighting cheating is our number one priority, and we are aware that for some of our players the current state of the game is not ideal. As with every patch, 3.4.0 will contain various backend improvements and tweaks to our anti-cheat formula. In addition, we have added new systems to the game to help detect and prevent the kinds of cheats we have found to be the most common. While we would love to go into detail about exactly what is being changed, any info we give on our methods is unfortunately information that can be used to circumvent those methods. Regardless, we do expect that these changes should have a noticeable effect on the state of the game, and we will be monitoring them closely after they go live and adjusting them as necessary.
If you would like to contribute to the games anti-cheat efforts, reports are always one of the most useful resources at our teams disposal. Simply sending a report in-game can go a long way, and you can also make use of our #reports-and-appeals channel in our official Discord server if you would like to give some more detailed information to our anti-cheat team or would like to include a video clip with your report.
We hope these changes go a long way towards improving your experience on Fortuna, until next time Prospectors!
- Insurance payout timer has been increased from 45 minutes to 6 hours in order to combat a known item duplication exploit
- This one is a significant change for us, and we discussed methods to address item duplication in a way that was quick and impactful. This change will ensure the game instance has shut down and all players have left the instance before dishing out insurance reimbursements.
- Additionally and for clarity, players participating in this exploit will receive a ban if they are found to be duplicating items. Don't give into the temptation!
- We've adjusted tuning of creature proximity senses as a follow up from patch 3.3.0
- We've adjusted Crusher and Marauder aggro so that disengaging with the fiercest of terrestrial creatures isn't as difficult. No more Jeffs launching interplanetary acid bombs across the map as you run away clutching your last stim
- Storm cycles on Tharis Island have been shortened by lowering the time between storms from 25 minutes to 21 minutes to make forging feel less tedious. Duration of the storm remains unaffected
- Slightly increased the probability of receiving Progenitor Slag as a byproduct of forging from 10% to 13%
- Decreased the required amount of slags for final safe pocket upgrade from 3 to 2
- Windfall's Shop received some swanky new images to showcase item bundles
- Weapon, melee, and consumable textures should no longer disappear after using a throwable consumable. For real though this time
- Fixed an out of bounds exploit above Green's Prospect Garage
- Fixed an out of bounds exploit near Osiris Research Center
- Fixed an out of bounds exploit near the lab at Rock Pools
- Fixed an out of bounds exploit at Pinnacle Labs
- Fixed an out of bounds exploit near Favela
- Fixed an out of bounds exploit near Skeleton Observation Site
- Fixed an unintended area near Waterfall Labs
- Fixed an unintended area near Korolev HQ
- Fixed an unintended area near Rock Pools
- Fixed a "stuck spot" at Root Rock Tunnel
- Fixed a "stuck spot" at Fallen Tree
- Fixed a "stuck spot" at a specific building near Hay Fields
- The Howler took a few more aviation lessons and should no longer get stuck on environmental objects
- Fixed several hiding spots that could be abused by using certain emotes in bodies of water.
- Fixed an area where players could clip through and hide on the Laser Drill
- Fixed an exploit that allowed players to climb to the top of the dungeon on Crescent Falls
- Adjusted a spawn point on Tharis Island that was a bit too close to AI creatures
- Fixed a damage mitigation bug that could occur with the Jungle Bandit archetype
- Fixed a rendering/collision issue with a vehicle in Pumpkin Fields
- Fixed an issue that allowed players to move while emoting
- Fixed an issue with some keybinds not being present when using an AZERTY keyboard. Don't get caught inspecting your weapons too often now!
- Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash in the event a Player Report came back with an error
- Fixed a exploit regarding Free Loadout Runs and claimed insurances
- Fixed a collision issue with a tree root near Pumpkin Fields and Starport Landing Pad. We're prospectors, not termites
- Fixed an issue with a weapon's weight being affected by the ammo weight reduction perk.
- Fixed an issue with the explosive damage perk reducing damage from storm strikes and fauna damage
- Fixed a visual issue with the "Top Tiktok Howler Creators" decal on the station
- Fixed an issue where a player would be redeployed to the same map if foamed while disconnected instead of being sent back to the station
- Addressed missing localization for the "Email" textbox in the Newsletter (DE, ES, FR, IT, JP, KR. PL. PT, RU, CN)
- Fixed an issue with faulty SFX when attacking Blast Ticks with a melee weapon
- Fixed an issue with the Fortuna Pass displaying incorrect rewards when skipping levels using Aurum
- Relocated a mysterious floating rail at Favela to its proper location
- Fixed an issue with broken armor UI still showing the broken icon after being repaired
- Fixed an issue causing Error Code ## with some players when dropping
- Fixed an issue with squad separation not functioning as intended. You should only see parties of the same size deploying to the planet in Trusted Matchmaking
Known Issues & Things We Are Working On™
While some of these issues might take a bit longer, we are still investigating and aim to find fixes and address these as soon as we can.
- We are aware of your feedback that you want to see a default weapon skin setting.
- We are investigating changes to the process of selling items smoother.
- Deysnc Issues - we are cautiously keeping an eye on this topic and working with players where possible to investigate these instances.
- Getting kicked back to the lobby is currently under investigation.
- We received a bunch of reports that performance has taken a hit in Season 3 and are investigating.
- Our Welcome Packs descriptions need to be reworded to reflect the disappearance of mandatory wipes.
- Streaming tools can lead to crashes for some players.
Additionally for those of you who read our little messages at the bottom, Patch 3.5.0 is scheduled for June 28th
, so no need to wonder which Wednesday it'll be! Also, you look stellar today!
2023.06.06 17:56 mwahaha2000 HELP me find out what is causing my milia!
| || |
I’ve never had milia. help me figure out which products are causing it pls submitted by mwahaha2000 to SkincareAddicts [link] [comments]
I’m 22F, acne prone skin. I’ve only ever had acne. but i’ve noticed milia are becoming frequent enough for me to extract them myself and then they pop up somewhere else. usually cheek, or next to my nose.
The new products i’ve been using in my routine are ELFs salicylic acid trio kit. ELFs eye cream. and ELFs oil based cleanser.
For anyone else with acne, their acne line has really helped me get my breakouts under control. but i REALLY hope they’re not the source of the milia.
Before these I would use the Cerave foaming niacinamide cleanser daily but I don’t use it as often anymore.
Is there any other way to get rid of milia instead of popping/extracting them?
2023.06.06 17:03 LordIlthari Monsters Chapter 77: Blood and Booze (Or, two paladins have a fistfight in a gay bar)
I am The Bard, who taught men their first magics, which to this day endure when all others have. It is written into the blood and bones of all you have built, and so I shall never die.
I did not teach you how to dream. I only taught how to tell a dream to another who you would never know.
The phone rang. Karna didn’t bother to pick it up. The message machine clicked for a moment, tape starting to turn backwards as new words were written onto it. It clicked again, stopping dead. Karna didn’t look up from his meal of leftover takeout. He finished his noodles, checked again to see if there was any shrimp left, and sighed as he threw the box at the bin. It bounced off the others already filling it up.
He sighed, rubbing his head and eyes. Healing magic could cure a hangover. It couldn’t do anything about dehydration. He needed to get up and get a drink. He went over to his cabinet and looked around for a glass. When he didn’t find a clean one, he grabbed a coffee mug instead. It was the last one. He was also out of coffee. Irritating. No matter how much of it he drank, he was still tired. It just meant he couldn’t sleep.
Sex helped, a bit, but when it didn’t, things were worse. Lying alone in his own bed, at least he could toss and turn and work his sheets into tangles trying to find some position that would let him finally fall asleep. He could slip out of bed for a nightcap, a strong one, to try and help. With another, there was nothing to do but lie there, still and silent, trying not to wake the man or woman next to him.
Trying not to think.
Impossible to sleep, then suddenly too much sleep. Blink and it was three-thirty in the afternoon. He stood at the sink, filling up the mug and draining it repeatedly. The call was probably from work. Worse, it might be his mother.
”Karna, what the fuck are you doing with your life you useless bastard. You’re not immortal, it’s all slipping away, one day, one minute at a time, and here you are doing nothing with it.” He said to himself. “Because you’re too tired to anything and still can’t sleep.” Of course, he knew why. His mind, treacherous as a serpent, betrayed him then, in the dark, in the solitude. Every wound he had suffered, every scar erased by healing magic, those were nothing. He was a paladin, the training had gotten him used to the sight of his own blood a long time ago.
”Practice for healing magic. Isn’t that what the old sister called it?” He wondered aloud. “Tch. She was kind of a bitch. Still is. I wonder if she’s calling me to yell at me too? Of course, I suppose I deserve it. I-“Then he stopped himself, and slammed the mug down, forcefully. It hit one of the plates in the sink, and it cracked. Karna swore and picked up the mess, picking the shards of metal out of his sink and throwing them in the boxes in the bin.
He sat back down in the one seat he used at his four-person table. It was covered in books, loose change, an unopened letter from some survey, a candle, a mug, miscellaneous bits of stationary, a comically large six sided die with red and black patterns, and off directly to his left a stick of deodorant and bottle of cologne. Those last two were the only things he’d used on this table in a while.
He sat back in his chair and sighed. “Yeah, you know exactly what you’re doing with your life. Nothing of any use to anyone. Well. Useless is better than detrimental, so hey, at least there’s that improvement.”
He hit the button to play back the latest message from his telephone, and picked it up, placing the receiver to his ear. At least he could listen to his messages. That would be something for the day.
”Hey, Karna. It’s Bas.” Karna’s head slumped forwards. He hadn’t expected him to be calling to call him an idiot. “I’ve tried coming by your place a couple of times to visit, seem to have missed you both times.” Or he was asleep, or drunk, or otherwise being a bad cousin. “So, I figured I’d give you a call and leave you a message. Just checking in to see how you’re doing. I know… things have been rough, for all of us, and I know you were taking things hard.” I know you’re weak. “I hope you’re doing well, and hope you understand, if you’re not, then, well, you’ve got my number, and you know where I live. Even though my apartment’s not exactly stellar.” I know you could reach out. But you won’t. You’ve been given everything, inherited power, your house, your money, and you still do nothing with it. I have nothing our society considers important, but I am still a better man than you. “Hope to talk to you soon. Adonai watch over you.”
That last bit was a bit odd. Adonai. The old invisible god, or God, as those that believed in such a thing insisted. Karna wasn’t entirely certain that this wasn’t just a clever way of disguising atheism, given that philosophy’s associations. Why in the world would Basil mention it now? As far as he knew… well he really actually didn’t know anything about Basil’s beliefs. He presumed, given his training, he was a follower of the western philosophies, which were philosophies more so than religions. They were fairly popular these days, a sort of secular spirituality, a substitute for the holes growing in Ordani religious life.
When you’ve fought and killed a god in living memory, it becomes harder to worship them. Beyond that, the old rites simply that, old rites. A series of rituals nobody really believed in anymore. He couldn’t remember the last time he’d seen a cleric. He paused. He couldn’t remember the last time he’d seen a cleric he hadn’t been fighting to the death with. The gods really didn’t seem to have much of a place in a modern society. It was probably arrogant, but part of the point of the gods was meant to be that they were something so much bigger than oneself, that there was nothing that could compare. They were monumental figures, but when the monuments can be torn down by mere men, was it a monument worth believing in?
It was that way then. Some people turned to the western philosophies, realizing that their religious needs, the desire for mystery, for reverence, for prayer, meditation, moral laws and sacred communities were met there, without gods. Some, Basil included, turned their gaze towards an invisible, supposedly omnipotent, God. Well, the gods were supposed to be omnipotent, but if nobody could even prove your God existed, well, then there wasn’t any fear that anyone could kill Him. And then, there was the other kind. The kind which were kind of a bad joke.
He remembered his days in the warm sun, under the abbot’s orchard in Hearthfire Abbey, amid the warm red walls, the golden light of the day filtering through the green leaves, the bright red apples highlighted against a blue sky. Quite literally simpler times. He remembered the grave beneath the tree. Senket Zarathustra. Of course, that wasn’t really where she was. She was a few miles up the road, in a chapel nobody paid any mind to, next to six other graves, two empty. How much a contrast that was, compared with what was in the abbey. Her image, glaring down from tapestry, immortalized in statuary, and everywhere revered. Saint, they called her, but what was the difference between a saint and a god, when you treated one like the other.
They had made gods for themselves, gods born of and midwives to, their own people. A god that was distant enough to be worshipped, but near enough to be known. Something understood, something relatable, and something that had bested other gods before. Gods borne of the people of godslayers, for what else could they be? Of course, every pantheon needed its devil, its fallen angel. And now here he stood, a useless bastard, but also the same kind of thing as their gods and their devil. What a bad joke.
But at the same time, a joke they had believed in. A joke he felt the obligation to make a truth. A joke he had failed to make true. Up on a pedestal, and down in the dirt. That was what paladin of Order Undivided meant now. A hero, until people had no more need of them. Good, he wasn’t even a hero in the first place.
He shook his head. It was going to be a few hours before any clubs opened. He was going back to bed until then. It didn’t do him any good to sit awake stewing.
Basil was getting worried. He’d tried paying visits and making calls, but there was no contact. He quietly sat through office hours, grading the first assignments of the year. He was starting to regret assigning an essay, particularly to his 101 class. Fortunately, it was early in the year, so he was able to work through his office hours without being further disturbed. He finished his last paper, capped the red pen, and stood up. It wasn’t that far out of his way to visit Karna again, and this time he wouldn’t be ignored.
He made his way through the city, until he came to the Red Street. It had another name, but people remembered not what was given, but what was done. Fifty years ago, the blood of black and red lions flowed, as Elsior faced down her old mentor during the height of the black rebellion. The street’s architecture was eclectic, a mix of the old buildings which had survived the battle, and newer designs built up out of the ruins left from a clash of titans.
There were alleys off the street where you could still see the gashes left in the ground by arcane blades. It was a street where history lay heavy in the mortar and the air. It was also a decently affordable neighborhood, as the old houses, while historical, were also old, small, and lacked modern amenities. He was still never going to afford any of them on a teacher’s salary, even with his stipend as a paladin. Of course, Karna would have had a bitch of a time paying for his house as well, but he had simply inherited it.
Basil shook his head, as if to throw the jealous thought out of his mind. “You’re a grey-eyed monster already. Let’s not add green to the mix.” He growled at himself, as he kept walking up to Karna’s door and knocked. No response. He sighed, looking through the door. Only two of his eyes saw the normal spectrum of light. The others varied from arcane, ultraviolet, infrared, and a curious ability to see electrical signals. The end result was an overlapping view of information, an in-depth view of the world that saw the surface and the depths of everything. It had been a bit of a rude surprise for his parents to find out their son saw their brains at the same time he saw their faces. The practical upshot of this at the moment was that he saw Karna was clearly not at home, and had left a trail of lingering celestial energy behind him.
Well, Karna or another aasimar, but they were fairly rare. Even with the increasing numbers of extraplanar citizens in the union, there weren’t many descended from angels. Basil wryly considered that it might be the former keeping out the later. Baatorites weren’t strictly speaking enemies with most angels, but the distaste between the two species was deep, ancient, and mutual. As such, there was only one trail to follow.
Basil sighed when he found the end of the trail. It was a club, and of a particular sort. He didn’t need his enhanced vision to tell that. Technically speaking, strip clubs and even prostitution were legal. Practically speaking, everyone in any of them used pseudonyms. He sighed and headed for the entrance. The bouncer at the door, a towering ogre, raised a hand. “If you’re carrying, head around to the side entrance. They’ll check your swords there. No weapons in the club.”
”Not planning on starting a fight. Just looking to meet someone.”
”Yeah, well check em anyway. We’ve had boyfriends throwing hands with one another because they were looking at the guy on stage a little too hard, we don’t want em doing it with swords. That’s the kind of domestic dispute that doesn’t just get the cops involved, it’s also a bitch to get out of the floors.”
”Well, I’ll keep that in mind.” Basil replied, and headed around the side. He stepped in, greeted by another bouncer, a dragonborn. He always found it amusing how it was always one of the larger races as a bouncer. Given their job, it made a certain degree of sense, but it occurred to him he’d never seen a gnome as a bouncer. Then again, he didn’t go to many clubs. He checked his sword in, and left a pseudonym.
The dragonborn looked down at the paper, and narrowed his eyes slightly. “What’s the T.D. stand for, Mr. Law?” He asked curiously.
Basil shrugged. “Hells if I know, it’s an alias, same as everyone else is using here. I mean, look at the guy above me on that list, when was the last time you ever met somebody actually named Flamingo?”
”The guy kinda looked like a flamingo. Aasimar type, maybe his wings are pink.” The bouncer replied.
”If he’s the person I’m thinking of, no. Let’s hope they don’t start changing.” Basil replied.
”Cousin, and why’d you assume ex?”
”The only people I’ve seen who’ve been drinking that much and going home with that many different blokes are the ones going through breakups, and you’re the only person I’ve seen go looking for him, so I know he’s not a whore.”
”Nah, just a dumbass. Thanks for the info. Here’s hoping you have a quiet night.”
”Yeah, try to keep it that way for me.”
”I’ll do my best. Believe it or not, I hate fighting.” Basil replied, and headed past the dragonborn into the club proper.
To give the club some credit, they had a pretty decent band going. A small number, playing as much with style as they did skill. That was to say, a decent if unspectacular amount. The rolling tones of the lead singer washed over an atmosphere of casual conversation and lewd humor. Basil cocked an ear at the sound. He would have sworn he’d heard the woman on the radio at least once. He watched her closely for a moment, along with the rest of the band, but didn’t recognize them. Then again, he didn’t go to many concerts.
As the double bass thrummed, the piano crooned, and the saxophone danced center stage, he made his way through smoke and other scents towards the bar. A teifling danced a lurid show in the center of the building, sweat glistening on blue skin from the lights. One of Basil’s eyes kept a lock on the man, tracing the electrical signals running under his skin to enact their sensual motions. It wasn’t exactly something he was looking to copy, but it was an interesting interplay to watch. Dancing wasn’t something often done alone, done for the show. It was interesting to compare the flow of signals of this to more traditional forms.
He kept most of his eyes forwards through. He had a job to do, and he preferred white to blue anyways. A brief thought entertained his mind of what Zeal might look like in such an outfit. He snapped it off immediately, jaw snapping shut in anger at himself. That was wrong, and a bad place to go. He couldn’t allow himself to think of her, think of anyone, that way, but especially her.
He focused himself. He had a job to do, and he was going to die alone. The only thing anyone would ever love of him would be an illusion. Any intimacy would have to be built on lies. Throw those thoughts out of his mind. They would only bring distraction, and disappointment.
He centered himself, and took a seat next to Karna, as the aasimar knocked back what was looking like probably the sixth shot tonight. How the hell was he even paying for all this? He rapped the bar twice with his knuckles. “First time here, got mezcal?” He asked.
”Mezcal coming up, though I can’t say it’s gonna be quite as good as home’s.” The barkeep replied.
”I am home, just grew up away from it.” Basil replied. For all his illusions, he always forgot to cover his chultan accent. Then again, recognizing his voice was part of the point for the man next to him.
”Basil?” Karna asked, turning slightly. “You’re straight, well, nearest to it, the fuck are you doing here?”
”Checking on you, and about to drink a theoretically decent mezcal.” Basil replied. “I’m worried about you.”
”Well fuck off, you don’t need to be.” Karna replied. “Another.” He requested. Another shot of strong absinthe filled his cup.
”Might want to slow down there hoss.” The barkeep warned. “The kind you’ve been having is a hundred thirty proof.”
”That so? Huh. Would have thought it was about a hundred twenty. Guess I’m getting better at drinking. Stands to reason, it’s all I’m good at or good for.” Karna replied, clearly about as drunk as someone on their seventh shot of one hundred thirty proof absinthe should be.
”Politely, bullshit.” Basil replied. “Though you are going to manage to be the first paladin to ever give yourself liver cirrhosis at the rate you’re going.”
”Paladin. What a bad joke.” Karna spat. “Paladins are heroes, we, we’re not fucking heroes. You got closer, and you’re, well, you. Me. I’m just a fool. So what if I ruin my liver. I’ve ruined everything else.”
Karna went for his glass, but Basil put his hand over it, stopping him. He looked his cousin in the eye, gentle, pitying, but firm. “Karna, we should go. Let’s find somewhere, a park or something, and talk.”
”We should, as in you should get your hand off my drink, and then pull that pole out of your ass. Dancer might need a spare.” Karna spat back. “I don’t need to talk, I need a damn drink.”
Basil didn’t move. “Cut the crap and calm down. You’re drunk already, and clearly not in a good place. If you’re going to be this way, at least we can do it at a safe distance from anyone else.”
”Oh fuck right off.” Karna replied. “What, am I embarrassing you? More so that I already have? I know I’m a fucking disgrace okay. I saw it with my own two eyes and can’t stop seeing it. The least you could let me do is drink myself to death in peace so I stop being a bother for all of you.”
The bartender was steadily shifting away, looking towards the bouncer who sighed and began to approach. He briefly made eye contact with Basil, who tried to give him an apologetic smile and flicked his eyes back towards Karna. The bouncer nodded. This wasn’t the first time he’d seen this.
Karna continued. “But no, you can’t do that. Can’t just let me be a failure in peace. You’re not content just being the better man than me, being better in every way but looks than me. You have to prove it, have to rub it in. I already you’re better, okay, don’t need to slam my nose in it with this stupid pity schtick.”
”When did I say anything about that? I’m the weakest member of our party!” Basil protested. “And what the hells does that have to do with any of that. You’re my cousin, my family, and beyond that my friend. You clearly need help, so of course I’m going to try and help you.”
”I don’t need help.” Karna snarled back, green eyes glinting red with a dangerous, gleaming light. “LEAST OF ALL FROM YOU!” He roared. The red light flared. Basil flinched, covering his eyes as the roar slammed into his mind and ears at the same time. He focused, piercing through the growing crimson fog.
The music kept playing, a hidden tape rolling, but the band pretending to sing had stopped. The club had gone silent, save for that. The patron’s idle gossip and chatter was muted. The bar was silent, patrons slumped over on their chairs, the bartender and bouncer were on the ground, foaming at the mouth. Karna and Basil were the only two people conscious in that building.
Karna stared in stunned silence, quiet horror at the scene. Some part of him processed exactly what he had just done, rationality quietly ticking away behind a fog of alcohol and badly managed emotional issues. It only intensified the later, a combination of terror and guilt forming into a blossoming rage. Then he saw Basil’s face, saw realization peeling back and something shifting in how he looked at him, saw a cold fury, a hatred, spreading across his face.
Basil looked himself, horrified at what had just occurred, and mind flashing to the street in front of Zeal’s home. This was the exact same scene. The same power as Alexander, but now being used instinctually. He had no idea what had actually happened to these people, if Karna had meant it or not. One thing he did know for certain. He had to stop this. If Karna was out of control there was no telling how many people could be hurt so he had to end this now.
Karna opened his mouth, but it was too late. Basil whirled, placing a palm on the bar to leverage himself from a sitting position into a whirling kick. His heel hit Karna squarely in the face, with every ounce of strength he could muster. A sucker punch, meant to be a knockout blow so he could take the aasimar down, end this spell, and get him out of here before anything else went wrong.
Karna snapped back out of his chair, it tumbled to the ground, and the back of his head hit the floor hard. His headache roared, but he rolled over coming back up to his feet, coming to a ready stance. He might have been depressed and drunk, but he was still a paladin, better trained than most and tougher than pretty much everybody. It was going to take more than that to knock him out.
Basil kicked him squarely in the nuts.
Karna doubled over in pain, and Basil kicked him in the face again. Basil had trained under paladins and monks alike. His skill with his own limbs was on par with his swordsmanship. His training under the paladins in the tradition of Jort made him an expert at sneak attacks, sucker punches, and practical, dirty fighting. In other words, he was effectively an expert at kicking people in the nuts. He went for a chop to the throat, trying to finish the fight right then and there.
Karna caught his hand, and broke it by squeezing his fingers. He looked up, bloody eyed and berserk. “Ah. Fuck.” Basil swore. Then Karna threw him. Basil went flying, arm broken, and hit the wall shelves, covered in a hundred forms of expensive booze. The impact shattered his collar bone, and he kept going until he hit the solid wall on the other side of the bar. He landed hard on his face, shirt torn to ribbons and bleeding freely.
His hand and shoulder reset themselves, and shirt tore entirely as he burst his extra limbs out of it, and slammed them down to pick himself up. He drew in a breath, and Karna threw a chair at him. Basil dodged upwards, onto the ceiling as the chair smashed a hole in the wall behind him. He rushed his cousin, gathering shards of broken glass with his spare limbs and a bottle into either hand. He flung the glass before him, forcing Karna to cover his face. Then he hit him on top of the head with both bottles, dropped them, and hit him on both sides of the throat with a chop.
Karna struggled to breathe, nearly blacking out from the impact, and but threw a wild, blind punch. Basil evaded most of hit, but even a glancing hit was enough to send him flying. He caught his momentum on a support pillar, swinging around it with his tendrils. His ankle hit the side of a table and shattered. He wheezed in pain, falling to a knee on top of the table to mend it.
Karna roared and charged like a bull, giving Basil scant time. He palmed a lighter from one of the unconscious men lying next to him, and jumped clear. Karna smashed the table into splinters beneath his fists, tearing skin and breaking bone, but healing them just as quickly as he damaged them. Basil flicked the lighter open, and threw it. The expensive alcohol covering Karna caught light, stunning and blinding him as Basil set him ablaze!
He hit the flaming angel with everything he had before the fire burned away. Fists, feet, elbows, knees, tendrils. A devastating combination of every move he knew to put a man on the ground flew out of him. He hadn’t really trained to get into a bar fight, but damn if it wasn’t coming in handy. He finished with a powerful drop kick in the aasimar’s solar plexus, sending him staggering back against the bar, breath torn from his lungs.
Basil breathed heavily, as his cousin slumped, then swore as Karna got his feet under him, and pulled his head up still more than ready to go. He swore louder as Karna gripped the sides of the bar, and tore the granite countertop off of it, swinging it at Basil like an improvised weapon.
Basil leapt, running along the side of the countertop as it smashed through everything it came across. Fortunately, it was swung high, missing the unconscious clubgoers, and shattered when it hit a load bearing column, though that cracked ominously. Basil landed on his cousin, spines biting into him and wrapping around bones to anchor the assassin. He’d seen a similar technique used by velociraptors when they hunted, using their massive claws to hook onto larger dinosaurs. Once attached, the smaller reptiles would begin to eat their prey alive. He wasn’t planning on biting Karna though, instead he raised up his boot and began to stomp his cousin’s face, over and over and over again, desperately trying to bring the berserk paladin down before he brought down the building!
Karna flared his wings and soared upwards, slamming both himself and Basil into the ceiling. Basil fell off, and Karna grabbed him by the face. He slammed them both down into the floor, smashing Basil’s head into the ground once, twice, three times, then threw him with enough force to scatter blood across the entire club and snap the assassin’s neck. He watched as Basil hit the pole the dancer had been, ahem, performing with, and his illusion vanished.
Horror overtook him as he saw Basil’s true form break in two, snaped apart by the force of the impact, and fall like so much meat onto the stage. He rushed forwards, hands shaking as he realized what he’d just done. He reached for Basil’s head, bloodied and broken. But his hands went through him. His emotional pain was then matched by physical pain, as he felt a steel stripper pole strike him directly between the legs.
Basil didn’t let up, as he dropped the illusion and his invisibility, and beat his cousin into the ground with the broken pole. He went for joints, broke ribs, hit below the belt with every opportunity and he did not stop. He didn’t know what it was going to take to put Karna down but he did know that if Karna got back up, he was actually going to die. It was nothing but the good fortune of his unusual anatomy that had kept him breathing with a broken neck, and his healing magic to allow him to ever get up again. He wasn’t going to get another chance, and so he beat down his cousin until the pole was bent beyond all recognition and the stage was slick with golden blood.
When he finally stopped, Karna was finally, mercifully, down. Basil knelt by his side, mending him enough to make sure he could be moved safely, though not enough to bring him back into consciousness. The patrons were beginning to stir to consciousness. With a grunt, he picked up his friend, hoisting him over his shoulder, and covered both of them with a spell of invisibility.
Slowly, shakily, he retrieved his and Karna’s weapons, erased both their names from the registry, and slipped away as people began to regain consciousness and the police arrived. Then, he began the slow, tired business of carrying Karna back to his house. He grumbled as he went. “You are far too skinny to be this heavy, and put up way too much of a fight for me to need the extra weight of lugging your ass out of here. You stupid overpowered twink.”
Karna woke up with a splitting headache, and a slightly less splitting everything-else-ache. Paladin healing factors worked wonders, but if you took a beating that was going to make you ache for a week, you were going to ache for a week. He remembered what happened, and started to wish he didn’t. “Oh fuck. I nearly killed Bas. And… yeah, the rest of the club. I’m not going to be allowed back there.”
He rolled off his couch and got a drink, of water this time. He looked at his liquor cabinet, walked over, opened it, and grabbed a bottle. He emptied it into the sink. Then he emptied the rest. He looked down at the drain, drew in a deep breath, and focused himself. “I need to apologize. I need to talk. I need help. And I need to get my life back on track.” He resolved. “I can’t let that happen again.”
He clenched his fists, and opened them again, hands still shaking. There was a knock at the door. His first thought was that it might be Basil checking on him. The next though was that it was the police. His third thought was that it was Basil, and the police. Well, either way. Apologies would be made, he might just also need to call a really, really good lawyer, and probably a bank to take out a loan to pay all that property damage.
He opened it, and saw another aasimar looking back at him.
”Hello Karna.” Alexander replied. “I heard you had something of a rough night, powers going out of control, a rather ugly bar fight, that sort of thing?”
”Yes. How long am I going to be in jail for?” Karna asked.
”Not at all, I’ve covered the damages and fortunately, nobody has any memory of last evening. Dominion Flare has that useful side effect.”
”Dominion Flare? What I did has a name?”
”Of course. It is your inheritance after all.” Alexander mused. “Though, you might be the first one to awaken it while drunk, though you’re not the first to cause some degree of damage with it. These things happen, it simply requires training.” He looked Karna squarely in the eye. “And beyond that, I strongly suspect you may be looking for some help getting yourself back on track.”
submitted by LordIlthari
to The_Ilthari_Library [link] [comments]
2023.06.06 15:45 Small_Ostrich6445 [Routine Help] Analyze my skincare routine!
I recently decided to up my skin care routine after many years of subpar skin. For the last decade [27f] my skin has been low maintenance but not really "nice". Not dry nor oily, not acne prone but dull and large pores that clog easily. I don't really have blackheads, but absolutely have issues with sebaceous/dirt filled pores around my nose and cheeks.
It's been one full month of about 95% consistency [morning routine always gets done, some Saturday nights I have missed the night routine] and I haven't seen any changes really at all. Please read my breakdown and let me know if I'm missing anything, if I need more time, professional services, or if I'm just doomed to have cloggy looking pores forever lol.
> Burts Bees oil cleanser
> La Rosche Posay gentle non-foaming cream cleanser
> BHA/AHA exfoliation toner by Peachy - NOTE: pores look better after this but only temporary
> Glycolic undereye cream by Mario Bedasceau
> Niacinamide from the Ordinary
> Beija Flor Elasti-cream by Sol De Janerio
> Cetaphil sheer sunscreen
> The same except instead of sunscreen, I do a nighttime cream with retinol by Paulas Choice and a vitamin C under eye cream instead of glycolic.
> Occasionally use a velvet skin elixir 'drink' but I'm not sure the brand, it's a sample size
> Once weekly I use the red chemical peel from the Ordinary.
Everyone says not to extract the oil/filaments, but I don't know how else they would clear up. They're very visible, and while I have no major expectations because I know skincare isn't magic, but they just look so shitty for the amount of effort I've been putting in. As far as technique, I follow the instructions to a T on all of the products. I don't touch my face very much throughout the day and wash my hands frequently anyway!
submitted by Small_Ostrich6445
to SkincareAddiction [link] [comments]
2023.06.06 14:42 doctorgecko Respect Yukari Yakumo (Touhou)
"Would you like to have a near-death experience? By crossing the boundary between life and death." Themes:
Yukari Yakumo is a legendary youkai with the ability to manipulate boundaries. She is one of the sages who created Gensokyo in the first place, and a good contender for its most powerful resident. Despite this she is also exceptionally lazy, spending most of her time sleeping and foisting most of the problems off on Reimu or Ran. Still, her incredible intelligence and completely inhuman nature means one can never tell quite what she's thinking, and making her angry is a very
- Source Index
- Perfect Memento in Strict Sense and Symposium of Post Mysticism is an in universe book written by Hidea no Akyuu. She has a tendency to exaggerate and speculate, so her claims should be taken with a grain of salt.
- Yukari herself is noted to lie quite a lot, so her own claims should also be taken with a grain of salt.
- In 15.5 Yukari makes use of the urban legend Teke Teke, but her attacks while using this urban legend are fairly in line with her normal capabilities. As it's unclear what effect the Urban legend is having, these feats will be included in this section but marked with Occult
- Yukari scales to a large number of characters, so here is every Touhou respect thread for the games
Defining Some Terms Spell Card System: The Spell Card Rules were put in place by Reimu Hakurei in order to make duels between everyone fair, formalized, and safe. It is also the method nearly all Touhou characters will use in-character. Spell card battles have very clearly defined rules and attacks that are agreed upon before a duel with the purpose being that the most beautiful attacks win. In general Spell Cards are characters going easy on the foe, with ZUN outright stating they're not something the characters would ever use if they were serious.
Danmaku: Danmaku are the "bullets" fired in a bullet hell, take many different forms, and are able to be fired by most Gensokyo citizens. They're an essential part of duels in Gensokyo, being used to control an opponent's movement and overwhelm them. They can either be fired in intricate patterns, or just fired rapidly from a single point.
Youkai: Supernatural beings typically born from humanity's fear of the unknown, and the primary residents of Gensokyo. Youkai can be highly varied, but tend to be highly resistant to physical attacks while far more weak to spiritual attacks, such as names and traditions.
Gensokyo: Genoskyo is the region Touhou takes place in, and is a small landlocked region of Japan. It is fully enclosed by the Great Hakurei Barrier (more information bellow). The clearest picture of it shows it containing a few mountains, with it also being noted Gensokyo is small enough to see almost all of it from the Hakurei shrine
Urban Legend Incident: Due to the occult balls various Urban Legends begin to manifest in Gensokyo, and some characters are capable of controlling an urban legend in battle that matches their tempermant. It's worth noting that the effects are present even after the occult balls are removed from Gensokyo though Reisen notes it will soon settle down.
- The Sages of Genoskyo (of which Yukari is a member) are the beings responsible for the creation and maintenance of Gensokyo
Boundary Manipulation General Description: Summarized, Yukari's power allows her to manipulate the boundary between any two things.This can apply both to physical boundaries (such as between Gensokyo and the outside world), or even the boundary of concepts (such as human and youkai or night and day).
Direct Combat Usage
Gaps and Warping
- Spell Cards
- Last Word
- [Occult] Lend Me Those Beautiful Legs!: Locks her foe in place with boundary lines and then uses a gap to split them in two before putting them back together
Great Hakurei Barrier
- Spell Cards
Gensokyo's Boundary of Reality and Illusion
- The Barrier Itself
- Living Things
- Large Scale
- Boundary of Reality and Illusion - Moon
- Lunar Capital
- Misc Conceptual
Other Abilities Note that a number of feats here potentially involve boundary manipulation, but it's less explicit
Shikigami: Shikigami are spirits that have been turned into tools via a patter, that have software installed to control them
- Spell Cards
- Standard Danmaku Pattern
- Combo Attack with Others
- Last Word
- Spell Cards
- Summoning Rand and or Chen to attack enemies
- Spell Cards
submitted by doctorgecko
to respectthreads [link] [comments]
2023.06.06 12:17 Jealous-Honeydew-142 Bathroom floor. Vinyl roll underlay?
I have click vinyl flooring in my bathroom which needs removing due to broken sections. I don't have enough spare to replace the broken parts with cuts, and it's discontinued. It's only a small bathroom, so I was thinking of removing the floor and putting a vinyl roll down for now until I can afford a longer term fix.
The bathroom has a wooden subfloor (upstairs) and levelled with thin plywood. Under the current laminate there is an Aquastop foam underlay board system, which is around 5mm thick and perfectly sealed / level.
Question is, can I put the vinyl roll on top of this underlay for extra cushion and a tad warmth or will I need to remove it as well?
Finding mixed advice online and whether it's acceptable or not!
submitted by Jealous-Honeydew-142
to DIYUK [link] [comments]
2023.06.06 11:32 lightingnations I've had a fursona named 'Darkwind Summerpaws' for about a year now. Lately he's been letting his intrusive thoughts win, and I can barely sleep at night...
None of this is gonna make much sense if you’re not familiar with the concept of a furry, so here’s a quick summary: A furry is an enthusiast for animal characters with human characteristics, in particular a person who dresses up in costume as such a character or uses one as an avatar online.
With that out of the way, let’s get on with the story…
Last year, my boss sent me to Vegas for the CES tech conference and—inadvertently—booked me into the Bellagio the same weekend it hosted FURCATION. After checking-in, still drowsy from the 10-hour flight, I stepped onto the elevator just as two men dressed in full-body wolf costumes stepped out.
My pulse got set racing.
Despite the jetlag, I dumped my suitcase in the room, hurried back downstairs, and followed more furries into a convention hall crammed with anthropomorphic animal characters of all shapes and sizes: tall, short, ginger, grey.
Friends, for the first time in my thirty-two years on this earth, I was alive. Truly alive. I didn’t even realize I’d missed the ‘Bold Solutions for a Changing world’ keynote speech until the Bellagio staff started stacking up chairs, long after midnight.
Back home, I supressed this newly discovered part of myself. My engagement with the community remained confined to browsing fan art and the occasional Discord roleplay, all while my wife was asleep. But little by little, Andrew McCann receded into the gloom, and my fursona, Darkwind Summerpaws, stepped into the light.
To her eternal credit, my wife made every effort to accommodate this new lifestyle. But finding me—or, more specifically, Darkwind—in bed with another woman—again, a fursona—all but pushed her out the door, leaving me in the small house with a big mortgage.
At first, I sought comfort within the community. I neglected my family, my friends, and yes, even my health. Empty whiskey bottles piled up around the lounge while the written warnings piled up at work.
However, this was merely background noise. A hiss of static. Because Darkwind dogged my every step, unshakable. Unstoppable.
Yet still I felt constrained. Like a caged beast. I wanted more more more. Complete and total immersion.
Unfortunately, even my furiends couldn’t placate these inexhaustible appetites, and any complaints about their lack of furmitment fell on deaf ears. After a group member broke character mid-session by removing her mask because of a measly asthma attack, I got ousted from the group over my ‘volatile’ reaction.
This plunged me into a deep depression. Stuck without a release, I ended my engagement with the furmunity. Poor Darkwind got crammed into an old hamper and stuffed inside the attic.
Over the next six weeks, without my outlet, I became a balloon inflated to bursting point. Would this deep longing simply swell and swell until I popped?
But then, at the post office, a bulletin board flyer caught my attention. It said: Attention all wolfkin! Are you struggling? Feeling alone? Does nobody understand your pain? Don’t fret! Join a group of like-minded individuals as we explore ways to celebrate our primal urges. For more information, call Jacob on XXXXXX.
These folks sure sounded serious about roleplay. Finally, a place where I could unleash my true
Over the phone, Jacob gave me the details. Their clan gathered once a month, and wouldn’t you know it, their next meeting was scheduled for later that very same day, just before sundown. The leader passed on the location and said they couldn’t wait for “a new member to join the pack.”
Following his directions, I drove West out of town and along a dirt trail that broke from the highway,. It spat me out in a remote clearing in the middle of the forest.
Beyond the wall of trees, a grassy mound sloped upward. Pinched between the boughs there was a flickering, orange light.
A small group, twenty or so members strong, sat around a firepit on downed logs, not a fursuit in sight. My heart sunk.
There was no reason to panic, though. Not yet. Maybe, just maybe, rather than break immersion once the fun began, they gathered out of costume
for refreshments? Either way, I’d travelled too far to turn back now, so I slipped off my costume, folded it into my pack, and then pushed through a nestle of ferns.
Several individuals roasted marshmallows while others conversed in groups of two or three. One man even strummed a soulful rendition of Moonage Daydream on an acoustic guitar.
“Andrew, I presume?” said a deep voice from behind me.
The first thing I noticed about Jacob was his immense height; he stood nearly seven feet tall, and thicker than a barge pole. “We spoke on the phone.” My hand looked like a child’s encased within his, and that powerful grip was tighter like vice.
“You’ve arrived just in time, we’re about to get started.” He guided me forward by placing a hand against the small of my back. “So, is this your first time?”
“Oh no, I’ve been to tons of these things.”
Those green eyes cut a quizzical glance in my direction. “Really? What clans?”
Clan? Did he mean convention? “Well, there was DragonCon over the summer. And last month I flew down to Furry Fiesta.”
“I’ve never heard of—”
An approaching elderly lady said, “Sorry to interrupt Jacob, but we should really get started.” She jabbed a thumb at the sky, barely visible above the canopy. The chief acknowledged her with a nod.
“Glad to have you with us,” he said to me, and then went and stood before the campfire.
“Good evening, everyone,” he said, drowning out the gentle murmur.
A chorus of, “Good evening, Jacob,” went up.
“I hope everybody’s doing well. I’m delighted to see such a great turn out tonight. Now before we get started, I have a couple of announcements. First, congratulations to Paul”—he gestured at a red-haired man in a denim jacket—“and his wife Donna on the birth of their first child, Damian.”
The group applauded as the new father received several hearty pats on the back.
Once the fanfare tapered off, Jacob added, “Paul told me the new baby has been a blessing…paternity leave means he’s been able to sneak in a few long sessions on the PlayStation while Donna does all the work.”
He waited until the chuckles died off. “And secondly, can everyone please give a warm welcome to Andrew.” He nodded in my direction. “Tonight’s Andrew’s first time with the clan, so I want to see plenty of butt sniffing.”
I laughed, realized nobody else joined in, and then cleared my throat and stared at the ground.
“So let’s make sure—”
“It’s starting.” The elderly lady interrupted, pointing at the sky. High above us, the full moon drifted out from behind a wisp of cloud.
Jacob said, “Here we go everyone, get ready.”
Around me, belts were unhitched, shirts unbuttoned. Finally! Delighted we could now change into our fursuits, I grabbed mine from my pack, stepped into the leg holes, and shimmied it up past my ankles, over the shoulders.
As I hopped around on one foot, negoating the suit on, Jacob shouted, “Andrew, what the hell are you doing? You’re gonna tear right through that thing.”
I paused and looked up.
Bare flesh surrounded me on all sides; large and thin, male and female. Everybody was naked except me.
Before I could ask what was going on, all that exposed skin got illuminated by a stray beam of moonlight that pierced the canopy, bright and shining.
Jacob coughed harshly, a desperate growl, while others snarled. Beside me, the elderly lady contorted her limbs, her head jerking from side to side. She moved in an awkward, staggered manner, almost despite herself. Was this a stroke?
Her neck arced forward, her top half bending at an extreme angle until she dropped onto all fours. Her chest and arms expanded rapidly as coarse, grey hairs grew all over her body. Her ribcage got teased to breaking point, her face now hideously elongated, capped by a long snout. Bones cracked in her hands as the nails shot out and became long, curved claws, same with her feet.
Paralyzed by fear, I could only look on, my feet rooted to the tangled ground. Snarls and barks went up around me. I ripped my eyes away from the lady and saw more limbs swell while knotted hairs engulfed every inch of skin. Mouths snapped open and closed, each now crammed with razor-sharp teeth.
My heart pounded so violently it almost made me pass out.
At last, the beast that had been a lady moments earlier threw its head back and howled. That lone voice soon became a symphony. Then, one by one, the creature’s turned their attention towards me. The only human within in the vicinity.
With my wolf mask tucked under my arm, I backstepped on unsteady legs, my free hand raised in a submissive gesture. Nice and slow, no sudden movements or startling noises. Countless wildlife documentaries taught me that’s how you survived those deadly encounters.
Out of nowhere, a black furred wolf snarled, which made David Attenborough’s calm voice completely melt out of my head. I spun on my heels and bolted off into the forest.
Low, criss-crossed branches sliced my legs and arms as I barrelled along, all but blind. In the narrow gaps between skeletal trunks, bestial blurs cut through the shadows, appearing and disappearing amidst the thick undergrowth.
Just as I reached the slope, half-running half-falling, a cavernous mouth filled with sharp teeth burst from the gloom, on a collision course with my throat.
Without meaning to, I stepped into the loop of an exposed tree root, bent my right leg at a painful angle, and performed an unplanned somersault.
As my back collided with the ground, hard, all air fled my lungs. The head of my fursuit fell alongside me.
A ferocious werewolf whizzed by overhead, snapping at my skull on its way past, and then collided with another that had mounted a surprise attack from behind.
Still dazed, I stagged to my feet while the two beasts righted themselves and then growled at one another, fangs beared.
Blood dripped from a deep cut beneath my chin and a labyrinth of gashes along my forearms. It was like ringing the dinner bell. Soon bright eyes emerged from the gloom and surrounded me on every side.
Werewolves circled my position, drawing closer with every rotation, gradually strangling any hope of escape until I had only a few metres of space to move around in. There was nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.
But then a roar cut through the forest, so low and so resonate that the ground itself shook. Those other werewolves lowered their heads, their ears pinned back.
Silhouetted against the moonlight, a single wolf—almost double the height of the rest with intense green eyes—stepped forward. Unlike the others, this one carried itself with unquestionable authority.
I choked out a feeble, “Jacob?”
Six slow strides brought the leader so close that its repulsive carrion breaths blasted my face in hot waves. Thick, white foam dripped from blackened gums, getting gobbled up by the dry, hungry dirt. Whichever direction I looked more wolves stood ready to feast on my grizzled remains, to do battle over the leftovers. This was the end.
But there, by my feet, lay the wolf mask. Out of nowhere a strange calm filled my veins. My inhales became steady. Controlled. And suddenly I knew what I needed to do.
With my free hand facing outward, I reached forward and picked up the mask. Although Jacob growled, he did not attack. Not yet.
In one smooth motion, I slipped the wolf head on. Goodbye Andrew McCann, hello Darkwind Summerpaws.
Jacob’s jaw opened and his back arched up, ready to pounce. Before the attack came, however, I growled. It sounded raw and visceral, issued from a place deep inside me. A place I didn’t even realize existed.
My aggressor and I stood nose to nose, face to face, man to man. No, scratch that last one—wolf to wolf.
Jacob hesitated. As I snarled again, tendons in my jaw creaked. I dropped onto all fours and pressed my shoulder blades together as though pinching an apple between them. For good measure, I even belted out another growl, so fierce my vocal cords became vibrating guitar strings tuned too far.
At first, Jacob only stared. Then, slowly, his head lowered, and he fell into line with the group, whimpering.
For a moment, the wolves only stared. Guided by pure instinct, I threw my head back and howled. Jacob followed, then the others, and within seconds the pack sang in perfect harmony. Afterwards, they all looked on, awaiting my next move.
In a playful manner, I rolled onto my back and kicked both legs in the air. Straight away the group rushed forward to lick my face and sniff my crotch, the tension now gone.
Back at the campsite, some wolves slept, others ate, and several fornicated. It wasn’t entirely dissimilar to the after-parties at a regular convention. And once the festivities ended and the group became exhausted, we curled up by the fire and slept in one giant mound.
I woke surrounded by a ring of human flesh, the sun creeping over the horizon. I sat up and ripped off my mask.
Jacob stepped forward, crouched low, and then offered me his hand.
He hauled me up by the arm, turned to face the group, and said, “Three cheers for Andrew, the new
leader of the clan!”
The guild whooped and cheered and punched the air. Two burly men, still bollock naked, even grabbed me by the waist and hoisted me up onto their shoulders for a victory lap.
And at that moment, as I basked in their adulation, I knew my life had changed forever. I no longer needed to squander my wages flying to conventions and commissioning personalized fan art in a futile attempt to satisfy my desires. That was a world I could leave behind. Forever.
But don’t fret my friends. Because my journey into furdom wasn’t coming to an end. Oh no. It was just getting started…
submitted by lightingnations
to nosleep [link] [comments]
2023.06.06 10:58 ShotCaller_OG Heating a sectioned off room
Hi guys! Just found this sub, because I've been having a lot of trouble keeping my terreriums at the correct temperature. Housed in those terreriums are dart frogs and Mourning Geckos. So not only do I need to keep all the plants alive, but the animals!
My target temperature, is an ambient temperature of 75 degrees Fahrenheit. (70-77 is ok)
I've tried everything I can think of to heat the tanks individually, including
1.) Heating/basking bulbs
2.) Ceramic heating emitter bulbs
3.) Heating pads (under and on the side of the tanks)
4.) Uvb lighting
At this point, nothing has worked, so I've decided to take a room, that's attached to my living room, and try to insulate it best I can, and use a space heater to heat the entire room, and use a dryer heating air "tube"? To direct the cold air coming out of that rooms vent, back into my living room. The issue is not a basking spot, I need to bring up the ambient heat of the entire terreriums.
That being said, the room has 3 walls, then I'm going to basically "stage" large insulating foam sheets, to create a make shift "wall" and then make a door out of thick curtains, and attempt to seal it with velcro.
The main issue is my house stays at 60- 65 degrees Fahrenheit.
So with all that being said, does anyone have any better ideas about making the makeshift wall, and/or a better idea of heating the tank/room?
Thanks for any responses or help in advance!
submitted by ShotCaller_OG
to heating [link] [comments]
2023.06.06 10:47 jigbigsaw Pills
I started MC recently for pain relief and have found it to be pretty effective. I'm in my 50s and used cannabis heavily in my early 20's but then virtually none since. I'm using it for lower back pain, general muscle aches/pains and migraines.
I was prescribed CBD oil initially and advised to take it sublingually (under the tongue). I didn't find it very effective. Was then prescribed CBD/THC oil and flower. I tried the CBD/THC oil sublingually and didn't notice much effect (up to 12.5mg THC dose - 1ml @ 12.5mg/ml).
I bought a vape and vaped the flower. This was very effective. However, I developed a bad lung infection and ongoing cough that has put me off vaping for good.
So, I investigated oral use and have landed on a solution that works well for me. I describe this below for anyone else who has an aversion to vaping.
I learned you need to 'decarb' flower for oral use or it won't work (google it). Swallowing raw flower doesn't work.
I started with 2 grams of prescription flower with a 20% THC content = 400mg THC total. I ground this using one of those weed grinders you can get (see eBay or AliExpress). I spread this on baking paper and baked it in an oven at 120 C for 30 minutes. I used a temperature probe to ensure the temperature remained as close to 120 C as possible. If it went over 120 C, I let a little hot air out of the oven to reduce the temperature back to 120 C.
Next, I ground the decarbed flower in a stainless steel mortar and pestle. This resulted in a fairly fine grind - similar to freshly-ground pepper in size. After the baking, this now weighed 1.8 grams (= 1800 mg). Having started with 400mg total THC, 45mg of the fine grind should contain 10mg THC. It's impossible to know what percentage of that 10mg was actually decarbed though. 45mg of the fine grind is a tiny amount BTW - you really need scales with 0.001g resolution (see eBay/AliExpress) to properly measure it out.
Next, I filled empty gelatin capsules (size 1 - see eBay) with 45mg of the fine grind. This dose worked pretty well for me in terms of pain relief. It was a nice high for me too but probably not enough for seasoned users. Heavier users would need size 0 or 00 gel caps though you could probably squeeze 100mg of the fine grind into a size 1 gel cap. Size 1 is a typical pill size - size 0 and 00 are a bit larger than usual.
I found the result a bit variable in terms of onset time and effectiveness, so I tried topping the capsules up with olive oil to improve absorption. This seemed to give much more consistent results in terms of onset and effectiveness. Onset time is around 1 hour for me. The pain relief (and the high) last much longer when consuming it this way compared with vaping. For me, this dose gives pain relief roughly similar to, say, 30-45mg of codeine.
I tried the CBD/THC oil again by putting it in a gel cap. Oddly enough, it worked really well taken this way. The sublingual route didn't seem to work for me, but the same oil swallowed in a gel cap worked great. I found this puzzling considering when taking it sublingually it's either being absorbed sublingually or swallowed anyway.
Anyway, 10 grams of 20% flower = 200 doses of 10mg THC, so it's pretty economical for me at that dose. Obviously not as economical for heavier users.
submitted by jigbigsaw
to MedicalCannabisAus [link] [comments]
2023.06.06 08:43 johnnytoboggan EBay Recaros from Thailand
| || |
Impulse purchase after a few drinks. Company called SRRX from Thailand on eBay that sells refurbished Recaro seats. Total gamble as there’s not much info, discussion or reviews outside of eBay or IG. One YouTube video with like 200 views by someone that bought a set recently. But they were exactly what I was looking for and said fuck it - worst case I get most of my money back from Visa and have a funny story to share. I was fully prepared to lose the money and knew what I was getting into. Expect the worst, hope for the best I guess. submitted by johnnytoboggan to projectcar [link] [comments]
They arrived in under 6 days - I tracked them the whole way and the fact they shipped and travelled so fast made me suspicious. But I ordered them late last Tuesday and they were on my doorstep this morning when I left for work. Packaged well, no damage or wear from shipping. I was pretty shocked that I received exactly what I ordered so quickly, from Bangkok to rural BC in less than a week.
Couple little alignment issues with the fabric which I think will settle down as they get some wear. The plaid doesn’t totally align with the bolsters, and there’s a little looseness under one of the lift levels, but it’s really not any worse than you’d expect from a local shop reupholstering an old set of seats. The foam and bolsters are solid, fabrics and stitching are high quality, mechanisms all work and fit well. They appear to be legit as far as I can tell too - there’s a reasonable, but very light amount of wear on the hard plastics, and everything appears to be original.
All in all, I don’t think I could have sourced the seats and had them refurbished for less or to a better result locally. Paid $3200 Canadian, plus $700 in taxes/duty/fees. I’m honestly surprised that they are as good as they are - they’re pretty well done all things considered and I’m happy with them. They look and feel great. I had pretty low expectations but they are solid. Plus, if you ordered any other fabric than plaid you’d never notice any alignment issues.
Anyone else bought seats from them, or see any issues I’m missing?
2023.06.06 08:36 Pantherdraws I miss my cat.
I lost Bear last February, just a couple of weeks shy of his 19th birthday. That's a long life for a cat, I know, but that didn't make that last vet trip any easier. It doesn't make things easier now.
I love BB, my current cat, I really do. He's a sweet, silly, goofy baby.
But he's not Bear. He'll never be Bear. I'll never have the bond with him that I had with Bear, I can't, because the circumstances under which they were both adopted are so different.
I was there when Bear was born. I held his tiny little body in the palm of my hand when he was only seconds old. I played with him when he was first learning to walk. He slept on my head and sat on my shoulders and sprawled out across my lap.
I paid $2,000 to fly him from Phoenix to Indianapolis after I graduated from college. When I had to leave him with my mom until I found pet-friendly housing, I visited him as often as I could.
When I finally brought him back home, he had a whole apartment to explore, but he was attached to my hip whenever I was home. Always underfoot, always curled up against my leg or in my lap, when I slept he slept between my feet or draped across my knees. When I had migraines, or was so depressed that I couldn't stop crying, he would lay in my lap with his head in the crook of my elbow and stay there and purr until it passed. Whenever he thought I was oversleeping, he would paw at my face and hands and stick his nose in my ear until I woke up.
He loved to be held, and he hated strangers.
Even when he was old, he would play like a kitten. He loved catnip, and attacking my feet, and he never once used his claws or bit hard enough to hurt (except for that one time he stole an olive right out of my hand and accidentally bit my thumb in the process, but still.)
The few times he needed a bath, he never tried to escape, he just sat in the tub and cried and cried and cried like a little baby. Whenever I was in the bath, he would sit beside the tub and whine, and sometimes paw at my arm, too.
And every single time I came home from somewhere, he would come running to greet me with his little "happy" song and dance. Every time, without fail.
And now he's gone and I'm never going to experience any of that ever again.
Nineteen years wasn't long enough.
I would do anything for nineteen more.
submitted by Pantherdraws
to offmychest [link] [comments]
2023.06.06 07:20 Seamoose_Art NoP 2177: In the Shadow of the Valley 
Credit for the original story goes to u/spacepaladin15
. This is the final chapter of NoP 2177, although I personally consider it more of an epilogue. Either way, I hope you enjoy!
--- Memory transcript subject:
Tressa, Venlil outlaw Date [Standardized Human Time]:
January 5th, 2178 Location:
, dark side of Venlil Prime
A bloodcurdling shriek echoed through the hall, followed by the sound of claws scrabbling against the metal floor. A frantic chase ensued, a blur of fur and scales flying down the corridor at breakneck pace. But it was over before it began. A connecting door slid shut with a quiet hiss which silenced all hope of escape, leaving the terrified predator at the mercy of an increasingly impatient prey.
“Hy, we’ve been over this. You need to take baths, or your scales will get all yucky and stop growing. You don’t want that, do you?”
Hyacii was still frantically searching over the door for some way to open it. Her lovely gray coat, matted in oil from some ill-advised exploration through the ship, left streaks of iridescent sludge across the polished floor which would need to be cleaned up. But that could wait.
Finding no escape from her grim fate, the young Arxur finally turned around to face her captor. “N-no! I don’t wanna!”
“Hyacii, I’m giving you ‘till the count of five. If you don’t come with me when I hit zero, I’ll go get Sasha and she’ll bathe you instead. Fiiiiiive…”
“I’ll tell Mama! I’ll tell her you’re being mean to me!”
“We’ve talked about this with her, remember? Little Arxur need to keep their scales clean to grow up big and strong. You want to grow up all big and strong like she is, right?”
“She wouldn’t say that! I want to see! I want to see what she said!”
“Sweetie… you’re just stalling. You can’t read big Venlang words yet like she uses.”
She cast her head to the side in a pout. “Yes. I. could! I’ve been practicing with Trish, this much!” To emphasize her point, she stretched her little arms out as far as they’d go.
Hyacii swept her tail across the floor in frustration, further smearing oil everywhere.
With time running out, she employed her final weapon, an expression which Sasha referred to as ‘Puppy dog eyes’. While normally adorable, it now only served to highlight the dark smears across her face.
“One and a half…”
Her full arsenal depleted, Hyacii finally capitulated and stormed over to Tressa’s side with exaggerated stomps. She allowed herself to be picked up, trying and failing to suppress an adorable noise of comfort as Tressa rubbed the scales around her shoulders. He’d need to shower later anyway, so the sludge staining his ragged fur was hardly a concern.
The little Arxur squirmed playfully in his arms, kicking up splashes which cut through the layer of bubbles to soak his bedraggled wool as he tried to dislodge more of the thick oil.
“Are you enjoying your bath, sweetie?”
“I thought you hated
baths.” He took a moment to stop scrubbing, and stretched his arms out wide. “This much, right? Isn't that what you said?”
“N— Yes! I do, they take so long, and they’re so… I hate them!”
“That so? What are you doing enjoying one, then?”
Hyacii had no response, which he took as his cue to get back to washing. He carefully cleansed the iridescent sludge, revealing a dense pattern of gray scales which shimmered like a rippling pond. She giggled as he washed around her snout, swishing her tail in a motion which was normally adorable but now only served to push more water out of the bathtub and onto the floor.
“Oh, I forgot to tell you earlier…” He started, pointedly ignoring the irritating feeling of water soaking into his fur and pooling at his ankles, “...but James’ll be out for the next couple paws. He took Beast with him, so no checking on the garden for a little while, OK?”
She grumbled for a moment, before a curious look flickered past her eyes. “Why does he and Sassa keep leaving?”
he and Sasha keep leaving, not ‘does’. Anyway… you know how we can’t eat the same food you eat?”
“Right! That’s why you’re build— uh, growing the garden!”
“Yeah, but the garden isn’t all grown yet. Until then, we still need to get food from the city. Once our garden grows, we can stay here all the time for you. Remember how we talked about patience?”
“But I don’t wanna be patient! I want him to be back now!”
“So do I, but everybody needs to wait for things. If you keep busy, he’ll be back before you know it!”
Hyacii pouted. “You’re just trying to trick me into practicing more words, aren’t you?”
“I might be. But you want to talk to your mom all on your own, right? If you keep learning with Trish, you can tell her all about the horrible baths we make you take. Speaking of… here, ready?”
After getting a human-like nod of affirmation, Tressa lifted her from the tub and onto a towel. They weren’t sure if the heat of an air dryer would harm her scales, so getting her dry was almost as laborious as getting her clean. It was worth it, though; she enjoyed the feeling of being towel-dried almost as much as she enjoyed tearing around the halls at Mach two. A muffled peal of delight issued from the heap of towel that used to be an Arxur, as he set to work wiping the water from her scales.
The USS Washington
was once a proud human starship, one of several hundred which had so briefly encircled Venlil Prime to act as defense. Sasha talked about that brief period sometimes, usually when she was drunk; though it lasted only months, enough history was made in that span that it felt like a full decade.
Long, beautiful months for some; the ones who talked reverently about Tarva as though she was still Governor, who made dumb jokes about the Venlil’s behavior on first contact when they still regarded humanity as violent and strange creatures. Sasha, naturally, was one of these people. She’d go on and on about what a magical time it was when they realized the universe was far bigger than they ever knew, and how incredible it was to make friends among aliens. Her closed-lipped smile, a habitual remnant of a time when most Venlil froze in terror at a human’s teeth, spoke of how much humanity was willing to give up for the chance at intergalactic acceptance.
Miserable, chaotic months for others; those who talked about it as a time of strife and mistrust, when Venlil lived in fear of predation and humans suffered the agony of constant rejection and hate. Only following the first bombing of Earth did things begin to change in earnest, and even then it was hardly a clean transition. Refugee shelters and human-friendly businesses went up in flames in a grim foreshadowing of the fate that would befall Venlil Prime as a whole, the planet condemned to burn for sheltering uncured and unpacified humans. Of course, the fact that they were sheltered instead of willingly led to slaughter painted a somewhat softer view of the time period than many would admit.
Both narratives ended the same way. There was no debate over the justice of the Federation’s rule for the generation that remembered a time before; those city-scorching flames still burned fresh in everyone’s mind. Nor was there any debate over the trustworthiness of humanity, not among the Venlil who remembered the invasion.
When an exterminator fleet descended upon Venlil Prime, the UN pulled back the resources it desperately needed elsewhere to defend the planet. Earth itself was left all but unguarded in the effort to save a species that humanity had been allied with for less than a year, a task they set to with a desperate fury that hinged on madness. Hundreds of ships flung themselves at the enemy in suicidal charges once vital systems were crippled, targeting bombers and ensuring that the Venlil could not simply be annihilated from orbit.
The USS Washington
was not one of those brave kamikaze vessels. It was one of the ships in orbit as a passive defense, knocked out of the fight with relatively minimal damage and able to make a hasty emergency landing on the dark side of Venlil Prime.
In the time Tressa had spent getting systems up and running, he’d never come across a single skeleton; the ship had been thoroughly picked clean by shadestalkers, or perhaps the crew had managed to evacuate without casualties. Or at least had the time and people needed to move the dead off the ship and hold proper burials. Whatever the reason, it made the difficult work of repairing the ship much less gruesome.
They’d fried any records for obvious security reasons, but left the backup power operational. They’d left a number of vital systems operational; if they had evacuated, they’d done so in a rush. Or perhaps they expected victory, and didn’t anticipate the need to scuttle the ship. Either way, Tressa’s job was a hell of a lot easier for it.
Restoring water had been a far simpler job than he anticipated. He’d been dreading the prospect of digging a well, but equipment scavenged from the ship itself had made that process far easier, and the onboard supply alone was enough to last months. With this abundance, they could even afford such extravagant luxuries as baths. Hyacii really didn’t know how good she had it.
Once he’d gotten the little Arxur all cleaned up and given her a stern talk about not crawling around the ship’s filthier corners, she was free to ignore his advice and go straight back to sprinting around the labyrinthian behemoth they called home.
He often wondered, watching her stalk around the ship, if this exploration of territory and practice sneaking through shadows was as vital to her development as physical contact was for Venlil children. Sometimes he wondered if so much affection was even natural for her species, or if they were smothering her every time they pulled her in for a hug.
She did enjoy it, but… not everything enjoyable was good for her. When she was younger and had no concept of restraint, they’d have to physically hold her back from gorging herself on berries which would make her violently ill, which she’d keep eating anyway because she loved the taste too much. Maybe it was the same thing with their parental love. Maybe they’d have to teach her how to be more independent for her own good, however difficult that change would be for all of them.
Ultimately, the idea was speculation. Depriving her of warmth would be cruel unless they were absolutely certain it would aid in her development. And the fact was, they had no idea. Despite their best search efforts, records concerning Arxur child rearing were nonexistent.
The Dominion actively suppressed any behavior seen as ‘weak’, so growing up under their reign was a harsh and loveless process; at least, that was what they’d been told by an Arxur who lived through the process, and they had no reason to doubt her. There wasn’t a way they could verify the fact, though. The Federation didn’t want anyone thinking of predators as people, so any records that might’ve existed were long since turned to ash.
As cruel as the Dominion could be, they had an interest in keeping their subjects healthy enough to fight. Without those records, and with only someone else’s faint memories to go by, they were largely on their own in regards to physical development.
Was their little Hyacii eating right? They’d been feeding her using an organ printer they’d managed to repair, but perhaps there were nutrients in bones and skin that she wasn’t getting. Her scales were getting slowly lighter; maybe malnutrition, or maybe that was a natural part of her development. Was she sleeping right? Lately, she’d been complaining about grogginess, though it didn’t seem to stop her from tearing around the halls.
And psychologically? There, they were completely in the dark. All species had different needs, especially at a young age. Venlil cubs needed a level of attention that most humans would find smothering. Human children required forms of play that reflected long-obsolete hunting instincts, games which involved chasing and manipulating projectiles. What types of play did a growing Arxur need? They played hide-and-seek with her (as best they could, though it was rapidly approaching the point where she could neither be caught nor hidden from), but that was hardly a replacement for hunting. Was she languishing without prey to chase?
A hundred different worries, a thousand different questions, and not a single easy, reassuring answer. On that fateful night, Tressa had assumed that living alongside a “true predator” would be the hardest part. In fact, that had come easy; how could anyone feel threatened by such a sweet little star?
No, the most difficult part was coming to terms with the fact that they would make mistakes. In their lack of knowledge, trial and error was the only way to gain ground. And “error” meant hurting Hyacii. No matter how much they loved her, they couldn’t help but hurt her. It was a difficult truth to swallow.
But it was a truth they had to accept. Ultimately, all they could do was try. Try, and love her, and hope that was enough to cover for their failures. Hope that one day, someone else would be insane enough to learn from their mistakes. Hope that their little Hyacii wouldn’t be both the first and last Arxur of her generation. Hope that one day, they wouldn’t have to hide. She wouldn’t have to hide.
In the cold shadow of Venlil Prime, it wasn’t enough to have power and heat. Plenty had fled to the frigid wasteland in search of respite, only to die cold and alone despite their physical needs being met. They’d simply lay in bed with no will to survive, waiting as their body gave up on life. It was once believed that the dark side was haunted by vengeful spirits, though modern science put the blame on Herdless Depressive Disorder combined with the harsh physical toll of living in such an inhospitable environment.
Someone with a herd could stave off death’s embrace for quite a while longer, up to months. Many on the twilight edge lived this way, dipping in and out of the darkness as their job demanded. However, they knew not to stay for too long; even with the warmth of companionship, the dark side of Venlil prime claimed all eventually. Life was impossible without light.
How fortunate then, that the USS Washington
was flooded with light. A light like a ghostly lantern, darting through the hallways and crawling through obscure corners of the ship to come back covered in sludge. A light like a burning star, which filled their hearts with warmth every time it closed in for an embrace. The light of hope; what a strange twist of fate that it would take the form of an Arxur.
submitted by Seamoose_Art
to NatureofPredators [link] [comments]
2023.06.06 07:16 wsppan Today In Phishstory - June 6th
# Today In Phishstory - June 6th Brought to you by tiph-bot. Beep.
All data extracted via The Phishnet API
. Phish, Saturday 06/06/2009 (14 years ago) Comcast Center, Mansfield, MA, USA
Gap Chart, Tour: 2009 Early Summer Tour
Set 1 : Stealing Time From the Faulty Plan , Nothing , Back on the Train , Golgi Apparatus , Sparkle > Gotta Jibboo , Lawn Boy , Let Me Lie 1 , Taste , Makisupa Policeman 2 , Prince Caspian
Set 2 : Seven Below , Fluffhead , Scent of a Mule , Heavy Things , Harry Hood > Possum , Bug
Encore : Contact > Julius
1 Phish debut. 2 No "keyword."
Possum - Mike figures prominently in the jam as Trey brings the volume way down early. Rousing finish to the jam.
Let Me Lie made its Phish debut at this show. The first post-break-up Makisupa Policeman notably did not contain a "keyword."
Listen now at Phish.in!
Phish, Friday 06/06/1997 (26 years ago) Sands's& Carini's House, Charlotte, VT, USA
Gap Chart, Tour: Not Part of a Tour
Set 1 : Limb By Limb , Dogs Stole Things , Ghost , Water in the Sky , Vultures , Dirt , Twist , Piper , Wading in the Velvet Sea , Olivia's Pool , I Don't Care , Samson Variation , Bye Bye Foot
Set 2 : Samson Variation , Saw It Again , Waking Up , Limb By Limb , Dogs Stole Things , Ghost , Dirt , Vultures , Water in the Sky , Twist -> Piper , Wading in the Velvet Sea , Ain't Love Funny , Stand! -> Izabella
This show, referred to as "The Fourth Ball" or "Bradstock," was played for friends before the band embarked on the European summer tour.
Listen now at Phish.in!
Phish, Thursday 06/06/1996 (27 years ago) Joyous Lake, Woodstock, NY, USA
Gap Chart, Tour: Not Part of a Tour
Set 1 : Split Open and Melt , Poor Heart , Runaway Jim , Funky Bitch , Theme From the Bottom , Big Black Furry Creature from Mars , Scent of a Mule 1 , Highway to Hell
Set 2 : AC/DC Bag , You Enjoy Myself , Chalk Dust Torture , Sparkle , Stash , Waste 2 , Character Zero 2 , David Bowie , Fee > Sample in a Jar
Encore : Ya Mar , Fire
1 Trey on keys for portions. 2 Debut.
Scent of a Mule - "Sunshine Of Your Love" tease and Trey on keys for a portion of the Duel. An odd Duel for sure with howling and strange sounds, crazy Page, and chanting by Mike. Released on Live Bait Vol. 4.
Character Zero - Fun debut. Notable for a strong vocals, tight play, and a decidedly different arrangement, it's clear the song is here to stay, even though "[the band] don't know the end yet."
This unannounced show was performed under the name "Third Ball." BBFCFM featured Trey using a Rolling Rock beer bottle as a slide. Scent of a Mule included a Sunshine of Your Love tease and saw Trey on keys for portions. Waste and Character Zero debuted at this show. The opening act was Juan Hung Low.
Listen now at Phish.in!
Phish, Wednesday 06/06/1990 (33 years ago) The Barrel House, Salem, VA, USA
Gap Chart, Tour: 1990 Tour
Set 1 : You Enjoy Myself , Walk Away , Reba , Foam , Tweezer , Bouncing Around the Room
This setlist was derived from Mike's notes, which also mentioned there was no tape, official or otherwise. This setlist is incomplete, likely out of order and probably spread across both sets. The source of this setlist is phish.com.
Listen now at Phish.in!
Trey Anastasio Band, 2020-06-06 None, Cleveland, OH, USA
Tour: Not Part of a Tour
Show Notes: This performance was cancelled as a result of the coronavirus COVID-19 outbreak.
Trey Anastasio Band, 2002-06-06 UIC Pavilion, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL, USA
Tour: TAB - The Dectet Summer 2002 Tour
Show Notes: "Wilson" was a Trey Anastasio debut, was incomplete, and, along with "Chalk Dust," was performed by Trey solo, acoustic. Trey also played "Ray Dawn Balloon" acoustic. "Alive Again" contained a "Stash" tease. The performance of "Every Story Ends in Stone" appears on Trey's live CD, Plasma, as do sections of "Money, Love and Change" and "Mr. Completely" that appear under the title "Inner Tube."
Mike Gordon, 2015-06-06 Center Stage Theater, Atlanta, GA, USA
Tour: Mike Gordon - Summer 2015 Tour
Show Notes: This show featured the debuts of Take It As It Comes and The Last Step, as well as the Mike Gordon debut of Sleep to Dream.
submitted by wsppan
to phish [link] [comments]